I know that this topic has been discussed in depth on this forum...but...

I have a small detatched garage (shed really) about 30' from my house. I have an old Western Electric type 570 phone set that I would like to mount on the outside of the garage and connect back to the house with a ringdown module. There are two possibilities on how I might do this: 1) connect the other end of the ringdown line to a stand alone phone (a 2500 set) or 2) connect the other end into my Avaya Merlin Legend system (which may be replaced by a newer system this year.)

My main concern is grounding and safety. I have a 5 pair buried (Copper shield, icky-pic filled) cable between the garage and house which is not terminated at the moment. Would it be sufficient to use a Porta Systems 504PX2 type protector on the house end as a primary protector? What about the extension/garage end? The type 570 set has a type 123 1A1 carbon block protector in it, but I somehow doubt this would be sufficient if I wanted to tie this connection into the house phone system.

I was thinking on using ITW modules for the seconary protection (also Sandman offers something similar on his web site.)

Maybe this project is more trouble than it's worth...thoughts?