I think I have worked on an old Strata VI (I think) once with manual in hand.

Unlike those other systems, about 99% of CIX programing and 100% of IPEdge programing will be done on a PC. I can do a little bit of programing though the phone on a CIX. It comes in handy when you just have to assign a button, or when your laptop if giving you problems (or you forget it at the office).

I think anyone that installs or maintains a new Toshiba system, either CIX or IPEdge, should have at least a basic understanding of data networking, IP addressing, sub-netting, etc. Many simple Toshiba CIX systems way not be attached to the customers network right away, but there may be a time when the customer want an IPEdge voicemail (just like the phone system but only licensed for voicemail)with unified messaging, or possibly a remote IP phone so employees can use a phone at home. Plus SIP trunking is starting to become popular.

IPEdge was requiring a networking cert, but it looks like they have a test on the Toshiba training site now. Even though I had a CTP, I went online and got an Adtran cert as well. They offered a free online course that counted towards the Toshiba TSTE.