When it comes to elevator wiring, the inspectors here in western PA are really diligent to make sure the LV is separated from the HV AS WELL as the phone cabling. As Hal said, 99% of the time, the elevator mechanics will provide a box with THHN or some other type of wiring for the phone. Absolutely no cable may be in the trays with the elevator power or control wiring.

That said, I was called to an old hotel in McKeesport one day for no dial tone in the elevator phone. This was an old, old building with solid walls and very few conduits. The previous tech was a Bell Telephone tech and the wiring was bridle wire strung around, as best as possible, in an open equipment room with 480VAC bare buss bars and a multitude of open relay racks and bare buss bar connections. The maintenance man thought he would "fix" the no dial tone by connecting a piece of JKT from a terminal on the 4th floor to the waiting car.

When I got there, I discovered the JKT, alright, that was jammed through the door trim and sheared off in the pit. The maintenance man connected the telephone cable to the car....not to the connection point on the roof.

Fortunately, the elevator mechanic happened to stop by and, together, he and I found an open tip on the bridle wire that had rubbed through a bridle ring because of the vibration. The cloth covered, rubber insulated bridle wire disintegrated in my hands. I was able to find a spot where the insulation stayed on the wire and spliced it there. I asked him if he wanted to open the J-Box where the connection went into the car control wiring. His response was: "If I open that, the world will come to an end." We both left.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet