The rule of thumb is to use shielded or, at least, different binders for transmit and receive. HOWEVER,

Verizon must have deleted that from their "Wiring For Dummies" manual. In the last 10 years, I have had every PRI and T1 brought to the demarc on house cable with adjacent pairs used or cat 3 twisted pair or house riser cable using adjacent pairs.

I had a real nasty issue with a circuit that extended 2,000' from the demarc. The building is an old Westinghouse motor manufacturing building with multiple IDFs and old, abandoned wiring closets. Verizon was hired to install cable and get the circuit to the equipment. The "team" of installers used every old cable, bridle wire and twisted pair from demarc to equipment. When they were finished, they announced "It's done. We are out of here" and they must have been "superheros" because they were faster than "The Flash" getting out of there.

Yeah, you guessed it, the circuit was so flaky it nearly was unusable. I told the client the only way to insure reliability was to install fiber from the demarc to the equipment. After several days of heated discussions with Verizon, the client and us, I finally said "I'll install the fiber, at no charge. If it works, consistently for 3 months, you will pay me the installation fee for the cable and labor. If it does not work, consistently, then you owe me nothing. Verizon assured the client I couldn't make it work. Their solution was a $15,000 "construction fee" to bring a new demarc from the street closer to the client's equipment.

I installed a 12 fiber single mode cable. I used Transition Network's mux and got two PRI circuits on just two fibers. The circuits work flawlessly. That was two years ago. Since then I have added 6 more PRI and 3 T1 circuits to the cable.

The additional circuits were billed out as new installs. I got the full price for the fiber install and a very happy client.

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet