Around here, (Western PA) most of the Key System techs and PBX techs were doing VCA installs and service. NONE were happy about it. In fact, most were hostile. After one or two encounters, I just walked out of the room and did not come back until they were stymied about how to option out the cards. I never was condescending to them. I was one of them a few months earlier. So, after 50 or so installs with the same techs, we became friends. The funny thing is, almost all of the PBX techs became our employees after they took early retirement. At one time, we had 18 ex-Bell or AT&T techs working for us.

They were all good techs. They just thought, as everyone else that worked for Mother, that they had a job for life. All of the original 18 have since retired or died. We still hire Verizon techs, but they have to be older techs that actually know something. I have copies of Lee's ABC telephone course and test. When a Verizon tech asks for a job, I hand them the test. The older techs snicker, fill it out in 10 minutes and I hire them. The younger techs end up not finishing the test and usually just leave. Sure, the questions are dated, but I want techs working for us that know the difference between Bridle wire and a beer can.

I know Arthur...there is NO difference. LOL

Rcaman

Americom, Inc.
Where The Art And Science Of Communications Meet