Over the years I have had very brief meetings with the same crew of people. I don't beat around the bush. I look at the cable, and speak plainly and clearly and in small words. I say "You used the wrong kind of wire. It needs to be replaced with the right kind of wire. Do you want to do it, or do you want me to do it?"

Sometimes the meeting also includes the architect. That's when it gets really entertaining. I went into a storefront that had been wired with a single blue (of course, blue) Cat5e in a daisy-chain from one desk to the next. (Eight desks.) At every location, there was also a coax. The wires were not terminated; just hanging out of the old-work boxes.

It was all I could do not to just laugh my way to the truck and drive away. I needed the money, so I asked the architect, who had the plans with her, why she had (1) hired a day laborer to run the wire, (2) why had he run the single voice wire in a daisy-chain, and (3) why had she specified a coax at each desk. On her plans, there was a little triangle with an "M" inside it, at every desk. She said that she had specified a "Modem" at each desk, because that's how the computer in her office works. A piece of coax goes to a box, and the computer is plugged into the box. The box is called a "Modem." Therefor, if it works that way for one computer, it must work that way for a number of computers.

Luckily (for them) there was a vacant basement and the building was frame construction, so rewiring was not a big deal. I ripped everything out and did it right. Six hours and $2,000 later I *DID* laugh my way to the truck.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"