Our local police department has two holding cells in the basement. Each is equipped with a very expensive stainless steel combination fixture, comprising a sink and a toilet. One day, the janitor noticed a bit of water on the cell floor. She mopped it up, only to find more water the next day. Eventually, both units failed and were replaced with the same type units, at a cost of $3500 each.

Then they failed again, a year later. Another $7000 of the taxpayers' money down the drain...er...mopped up.

They called a plumber. He couldn't find a problem. They called a water softener guy. He couldn't find a problem. They called a so-called "Master Electrician." He couldn't find the problem.

THEN THEY CALLED ME. I measured the current between the cold water pipes and the electrical bond. TWO HUNDRED MILLIAMPS!!! An old abandoned well, inside the basement, with no water in it, was still bonded to the electrical grounded neutral. The new well, outside the building, had never been bonded to the existing electrical service.

I did not wish to imply that all similar problems are caused by the same conditions. It was just a suggestion.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"