Professor Shadow - I had a job with 70+ cables. I had encountered a similar sized job where the philosophy was any cable could do anything.

I adopted that here and have had great success.

All cables were CAT6 and terminated to 568B on both ends. I just labelled from 1-72 since it was a small job.

The phone system, for now, utilizes digital phones but that is likely to change someday so, in my mind, this is future resistant. Data is on a switch and the PBX ports are terminated to a patch panel which is clearly labelled.

To differentiate function, I used different colored patch cables. Yellow for voice, black for data, and white for video. The IT guy added red for servers if I am not mistaken.

The IT guy is unusually sharp and he loves the layout. He moves things around with no problem and is careful to maintain the patch cable color scheme we have agreed on.

I like it because, to date, I have never had to deal with the cabling or come across the inevitable we want to move a phone to this office, can you come move it? The IT guy does it all himself.

I could see this being impractical on a larger job but, I am curious as to what other might think of this scheme for the small to medium sized jobs. ~ Mike

Last edited by Meyery2k; 03/12/17 01:29 PM.

Michael Meyer