As much as I defend IT techs, I must say that I was ready to kill some these last two days.

I was brought in to do a simple site turn-up for a supermarket. Power up and set IP addresses for six All-In-One (AIO) PCs. Three had the wrong PSUs hooked up and there were only two of the right ones to replace them with. Also, all had been set up with the cabling going over the counter instead of through the nice cable holes.

Once I had finished that they asked if I could test the VoIP phone system for them. Another simple job, 15 phones with five of them wall mounted. They had only used one screw to mount three of the wall mounted phones so that when you went to use it it would swivel to either side causing the handset to fall to the ground.

The final straw was when they didn't finish running the data cables for the refrigerator control unit. I start running them and discovered they had cut all of the ty-wraps 1/4" long instead of flush and I cut my hand on one.

I was ready to kill at that point. The kicker was the painter had just painted yellow safety lines on the floor so I have to go back Monday to finish.

Life in the trenches. Oh well, at least they pay me well and fast.

Patrick T. Caezza
Santa Paula, CA 93060
C-7 - Low Voltage System Contractor - Lic# 992448