Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#10188 03/02/06 09:28 AM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, new here, and I was wondering if we have any people in the New England area that know if any LV phone/data training is available in Maine, or southern New Hampshire.

I've been thinking I want to get certified as an electrician, but not sure if I should keep that LV, or if I could train on residential electrical, and LV to become certified. I've already got information on starting for a Journeyman's license. This is rambling, but I'm basically looking to see if any places in New England, hopefully close to Maine provide LV certification.

I work for an unnamed CLEC in Maine, and they aren't really interested in getting any certifications, or helping out with that. I'm tired of using all of the wrong wiring, and would like to get on track to being on my own, or working for a company who will use needed supplies, and not low grade wiring, etc.

I may be pursuing an apprenticeship for an Electrician's license, but I want to be certified in data/telecom as well, as that is my main passion. I'd love to do both, but want to go for LV first, if possible

Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#10189 03/02/06 10:43 AM
Well, I can't say how it is in Maine but I'm pretty sure it's similar to other parts of the country. You don't get "certified" as an electrician. You work for someone, usually for seven years then you are eligible to sit for the test. If you choose to go the union route you start as an apprentice, get schooled while you work, but again it's usually a verifiable seven years of on the job experience required working for a licensed journeyman before you can take the test.

As for low voltage, your state may have a licensing requirement for that also which would allow you to do only LV work. Again it would require some verifiable experience.

I don't know of any program that would certify you for low voltage other than BICSI. But even if you attained a RCDD status it carries no weight as far as licensing is concerned if you are required to have one.

For information on licensing check with your state.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#10190 03/02/06 11:05 AM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the information. I've been looking at BICSI as well, so it's good to know confirmation on their program for RCDD, as far as LV goes. Maine does offer a low voltage license @ 4,000hrs, so I'll contact them, and maybe be able to find out that if my work with the CLEC i'm employed by can count as experience. I definitely would like to know more about the wiring I already do on a daily basis.

For a journeyman's license, I believe it's 8,000hrs, and then another 4,000hrs to go for a master license.

Thanks for the clarifications, I definitely appreciate it.

#10191 03/02/06 12:29 PM
Admin
Admin
welcome Joe

Nice to have another Mainer onboard

Maine does have a low energy licence but its not required for cable or telecom wiring. Here is more info https://www.maine.gov/pfr/olr/categories/cat16.htm#3

The state community colleges offer some telecommunication courses here is their site.
www.cmcc.edu

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
#10192 03/02/06 12:49 PM
I've been looking at BICSI as well, so it's good to know confirmation on their program for RCDD...

I only mentioned BICSI because it was the only organization to offer formal certification. I don't recommend it one way or the other. That is mainly because they are not necessarily well regarded by people in the telecom industry, particularly old timers who take issue with some of their "standards".

If, however you are from a data-centric point of view you will probably love them. Remember that RCDD stands for Real Cool Data Dude. :shhh:

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#10193 03/02/06 01:14 PM
BOGBS Offline OP
OP Offline
Merritt, thanks for the information. I'm hoping to start my own business within 7 years or so, maybe even before then, as soon as I get my next steps straightened out. I've been inspired in a slightly bad way, from all the residential wiring I see across the state, which is in pretty poor state, for the most part. I'm sure this is true across much of the nation, but some is just downright disgusting. That, and it seems most contracting for communications cabling is contracted out to organizations in MA and NH, especially here in southern Maine.

And Hal, thanks for clearing that up as well. I have a lot of information to take under consideration now. I really want to get into my own business, but I'd like to know what I'm talking about/doing before I even attempt to do so.

So many electricians around here just throw data/voice wiring in on new construction, and for the most part, some of their tactics baffle me. In my mother-in-law's new home, the EC ran cat5e for phone lines, under a bus topology. I suppose there's nothing wrong with that, since it would work of course, but I purchased over $200+ in parts for a Leviton SMC, including patch panel and all. Now I have to spend my weekend pulling all new runs. I guess I'm a big fan of star topology (home runs), since it's so much easier for myself to troubleshoot and adapt in the future, if needed. I guess it's a bit of a commerialized setup, but I prefer them, and similar configurations.

I'm getting a bit off topic, but thanks for all the input from both of you.

:thumb:

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,893
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,858 Shoretel
189,971 CTX100 install
188,082 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 7
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 98 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024