Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
scorpio Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

The best place to begin I suppose is by saying my knowledge about PBX systems is only basic. The hotel is now without phones in the guest rooms and I have a very pissed off owner. Here is the problem:

Preface:
I installed a new windows 2003 server at a small hotel, they have a Mitel SX-200 system which I believe is digital. There is the main cabinite and a 1U device above it. The hotel is running RoomMaster 2000. The old XP server had 2 dual port serial cards in addition to the on board serial port. there are three IP to Serial (ippocket232) devices interfaces. The phone software interface is called EPI.

The problem:

When the three serial cables were moved to the new server, the software does not recognize the serial connections properly. The serial cables were plugged into the same cooresponding serial ports with one exception. The old config had cables plugged into ports 1 3 and 4, dont ask me why they didnt just use one dual port serial card but thats how it was set up. On the new server I re-mapped port 2 to be recognized as port 4. When EPI is launched three things pop up. Summa pro, Centigram VM Encore and Mitel 2130 Dataset Bidirectional, the system is crippled when the Mitel box pops up. the mouse lags like crazy and CPU1 (its a dual core proc) shows near 100% load. All ports are set to 8,n,1 flow cont off.

InnQuest wont help me troubleshoot the problem as they insist it is a hardware problem. The phone vendor is out of business and I'm stuck in the mud. I have a feeling it is in the software settings/config but have no clue how to make the changes. I have located some PDFs for the SX-200 but am a bit mystified. There seems to be a few differnt versions of this box.

ANy help is desperatly needed and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

If all you've changed is the server, the data from the Mitel should be the same as it ever was. The 2003 server serial port is probably the problem, or your EPI software may be corrupted.

1.) Put a laptop on the serial cable that used to connect to the old server. Start hyperterminal or procomm. Use the settings that the old XP system serial port used.

2.) Call time service and wait for it to time out.

3.) Hang up. If you see a line of text, your hardware and PBX are fine. Now you just need to get the PMS system to recognize the input.

4.) Set your PMS server serial port settings to match the hyperterminal settings. Call the PMS vendor. Tell them you have data at the serial port, but it's not showing up in their program. Work with them to resolve the issue.

5.) You can go to Mitel Online (www.mitel.com) and find a Mitel dealer in your area, or you can pick one of the professionals from this bulletin board to assist you. I believe that we have a couple of fine Mitel folks in the NJ area.

Out of curiosity, why did you change out the PMS server?

BTW, you'll get a better response from folks on this board if you complete your profile with, say, a website for your company. Preferably one that matches your email address.

scorpio Offline OP
OP Offline
We solved the problem, it was the on board serial port (Asus P5WD2 Premium). Threw another serial card (SIIG) at it and it worked instantly. I can't imagine why the on board port was causing problems. I suspect the UART on most new MBs is an afterthought since serial connections are all but passe nowadayz.

The former PMS server was nothing more than a retail HP/Compaq meant for basic desktop use. The new server employs RAID, ECC memory and Win 2K3 SBE. The previous set up had no security and no redundancy or reliability features.

Sorry about the hasty sign up, I was looking for answers to quickly resolve a sever problem.

Thanks for your help.

Glad to help.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,077 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
3 members (Touch Tone Tommy, Toner, nortelvoip), 117 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024