Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hello

I emigrated to Maple Ridge, British Columbia last November. I've worked as a labourer on a building-site since then.

I used to work as an engineer installing and maintaing pbx systems, e.g. Tie, Phillips, Mitel, Panasonic and so on.

I'm now looking for an entry-level job back into engineering but am not making much progress, possibly because of the length of time out of a technical role.

Does anyone know of a company that would let me do unpaid work over the week-ends with a view to gaining experience? Any advice would be appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I live and work in Lloydminster Alberta which is on the east side of Alberta, so it is a long way away. You should be able to find someone in Vancouver, or in the Fraser Valley that could help you out. The other thing is sit down with the telephone book and start calling. When we moved to Edmonton years ago that is how I started in the industry. Moved my family to a new city, job that was lined up fell through, so sat down with the phone book had 3 jobs and 4 come and see me. The one thing that I learned is be HONEST it goes a long way. If you can do something say so if not don't If the economy in BC is anything like it is in Alberta, there should not be a problem finding a job. Good luck.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thanks for your advice and support Wayne.

I know here in the Okanagan they are always having a really tough time finding techs. And I'm not talking about experienced techs with years of experience...they have a tough time finding people who are green and willing to come into the industry. If you have experience, even from a few years back, I wouldn't sell yourself short. About 90% of the tech jobs in BC are filled without ever being posted. Visit every interconnect company in your area and introduce yourself. Something is bound to turn up sooner rather than later.

If you were in the Okanagan I know you could get a job as a phone tech...probably wouldn't be happy with the pay though.

Admin
Admin
Clint - what does a tech make in the OK these days? I left there 7 years ago, but would like to come back some day...

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
The company I worked for is still offering $12/hr to start for someone right out of college. They haven't upped their starting wage in at least 8 years. I can't get any of our grads interested in anything that pays less than $15/hr to start.

For a seasoned tech, it all depends on how desperate the company is. The highest I know of a tech getting here is $27/hr, and that was for a tech who was basically on his own in Penticton. They were so hard up for a tech, they hired a headhunter to poach this guy from an interconnect in another community. So he definately had the bargaining power.

If you want to buy a house here, you'll definately need to be paid on the high side of the scale.

SWB Offline
27/hr in Penticton?!? Wow, I was born there and had to move away as a baby cause I couldnt afford diapers.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,833
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,589 Shoretel
189,475 CTX100 install
187,623 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024