Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
OP Offline
Last night we did an upgrade of a MICS 4.1 to MICS XC6.1. 2 PRIs with DIDs.---and 6 analog POTS lines.--After much documentation and help, it came up just fine---except that the DIDs are all ringing at station 221 and whenever a call is transfered it does not go to the VM after ringing a station 4 times. I've looked at target lines and digits--but can't find out where the DIDs would be pointed to Ex 221. They ring in on one of her intercom keys.
Also, when a station is intercomed--the call goes to the VM box. It appears that all of the programming is the same as it was--- but I must be missing something. Any hints & ideas are appreciated.

[This message has been edited by JWRacedog (edited August 20, 2005).]

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Admin
Admin
What line number shows for the calls ringing to 221? My guess is that they'll be the actual PRI channels rather than the target line numbers. For example, line 20 instead of line 160 etc. Maybe the received digits setting is wrong. If it is you'll have to re-do all the target lines.

As far as the calls not going to VM, check the DRT settings in the System Programming to make sure it's not less than 5 or 6.

[Linked Image from web.atcomsystems.ca]
Looking for a VoIP Phone Canada provider? Put Atcom's valuable VoIP expertise to work for your business today!
OP Offline
All of the DIDs seem to be programmed as they were programmed. I have them all appr & ring on the particular stations and have done a button query to make sure that they are there. Most of the DIDs are-- Like ---xxx-xxxx was port 145 on the old software. Now it is port 157 on the new software. Line ports 001 to 023 are the First PRI and then ports 031 to 053 is the 2nd.(use to be 25 to 47) I have the port named DIDXXXX for each line port. When I dial in from the outside, DIDXXXX shows in the 221s display and one of the intcm keys blinks and it rings at 221.

DRT setting I think was 3 and still is 3.

I'm prepared to do some major re-programming ---but I just don't exactly know what to program. Re-doing the DIDs would be OK, but they seem to be all set up correctly. I can't back the new system up either---my NRU is looking for another map file--although I can program from the lap top.
Sheesh...I thought I'd have Sunday off.

[This message has been edited by JWRacedog (edited August 21, 2005).]

OP Offline
Went on site yesterday---& we're in pretty good shape. I've fooled around with the DRT and some ring timers--but still have the situation where during day ring---the DIDs ring 4 times and go to AA and during the nite mode--DIDs ring at 221s extension & the DID target extension--then go to AA. I've read a thread started by DrPBX and he had the same problem---don't know if it was ever solved or not. We're withing one ring, I bet, of having it work.

IF you have a NAM voice mail then you will need to upgrade to 4.1 in order to work with your new s/w 6.1.Once you do that it will fix your problem.I hope that helps.

OP Offline
Sam:
Thanks for the info. Yes---I have a NAM 4.0. Is this software upgrade on a 3.5 floppy?? Do I just go to 4.1 or are there options to go to a higher revision?

The software comes in a CD format no floppy.and the 4.1 is the last release for the NAM.

OP Offline
I guess I install the CD on my laptop and then hook up via a DB9 serial cable and download from there?? I think, years ago, I used hyperterminal to check out the old Startalks---Does the NAM do that too? I'll have to get a manual, I guess.

You will have to hook up an external CD drive(backpack CD-ROM) to the NAM and have the upgrade CD inside and it will upload the new s/w.Another option is get an new hard drive 4.1 and replace the old one maybe it will be easier that way. Keep in mind in either way you will loose the programming and the upgrade codes if any was loaded, so I recommend doing a backup prior to any upgrade or replacements. That’s my opinion.

OP Offline
Hmmm. That's not good. More work. More time. More money. Oh well--thanks, Sam for the info. I'll start rounding up what I have to get. I thought I was all done with documentation and programming on this system---guess I'm not done yet.
What do you mean by "upgrade codes". Is this a Nortel thing like PRI Enabler codes?

[This message has been edited by JWRacedog (edited August 22, 2005).]

Yes,The NAM comes with 2 port enabled and any extra ports needed ,you have to activated thru a key code,Just another way of making money.If you do a backup for secure files you can restore these key codes back to the system after the upgrade or after replacing the hard drive.

OP Offline
This is a 4 port NAM--is there some sort of number that I should be looking for on the NAM?
If I need a key code, and can't find it on the NAM, do I have to purchase one to get it back to a 4 port?

Also---is 4 port an 8 channel. Or is the 4 port--just those extensions---I think on this one it's 349, 350, 351 & 352. If this is not an 8 channel, I need to think of maybe a more robust upgrade---they have about 100 stations now and use VM quite a bit. But I have never heard of a problem from them in the last 6-9 months of not being able to access the VM.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
You have a 4-port 8 channel. Use F915 to access your backup function.

4 port is a 4 channel not 8.However to find out what you have you can log in under admin feat 983 and enter your admin MB and password, then dial 44 you see how many ports are enabled as a VM.In order to do a back for the secured file (key codes upgrade If any) you have to use the feat. 915 or sometimes that changes it could be any number I saw it up 970.In order to back up or restore the programming you will have to use 22 and 33 codes after you log in as administrator(feat 983 –admin MB and pass) hope that helps and not confused you. The 2 ports upgrade codes runs about $150 just in case if you need any.

OP Offline
Thanks for all the info. I'm planning on upgrading that NAM, but yesterday I put a DID onto a new extension (programming it exactly like I have done for all the others) and it won't even ring to the phone but rings immediately to the 221 station. Now, even though that NAM has to be upgraded---that situation doen't seem to have anything to do with the NAM. Today I'll go back there and delete the MB associated with that new station and see if the DID still goes to X221.

Hi Mick,

I'll give you a call on this today to make sure you have everything you need. Your NAM should be equiped with 8 channels (hardware), and licensed to use 4 of them for the NVM application.

Talk to you soon,
Marty

------------------
BCM Guy
www.BCMguy.com
Learn more about the Nortel Networks Business Communications Manager HERE !

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Let's carry this converation forward.... jw has 4 stations ports connected. I presume all identify as voicemail. Nortel uses both the B1 and B2 channels for vm communication. That makes 8 channels.

That’s hold true to some extent especially for the old star talk, flash, copper NAM or even the call pilot because it connects or interfaces thru a digital station. However for the fiber NAM it connects thru a fiber connection so you have up to 16 extension 32 ports however it has to be enabled thru key codes. The NAM comes equipped with 8 ports as hardware but only 2 ports are enabled as lets say s/w limitation (another way for Nortel to make more money), and in order to add more ports you have to enable extra ports with key codes. And beyond 8 ports you will need to add MSPEC card for each additional 8 ports and add the additional key codes to achieve the ports required. I hope it helps and answered your question and it’s not confusing.

OP Offline
VM is 4 physical ports. 8 tiny green lights, around 80 users---no complaints ever of vm busy. Tomorrow night I replace the hard drive with a drive that has 4.1 on it. I did a back-up (took 3 floppies). Took about 10 minutes. Maybe the upgrade will fix my problem---and maybe I can do a restore on the new 4.1 hard drive....and it will take. Just maybe. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Today, all of the DID calls that were not answered by 4 rings, went to the AA (we changed the message to say "dial ZERO for the Operator"--we had renamed all of the DID trunks to say DID#### so that the receptionist could say "That person is not at his desk---let me put you in his VM" and then F986 them into the stations VM. Worked pretty good for a band-aid type deal.

So The NAM that you have is not fiber its copper interface thru a digital station. So make sure that you have the correct hard drive for the upgrade. The old NAM and the new NAM using different hard drive and it’s not interchangable.Good Luck.

OP Offline
No, it is fiber--interfaced through a fiber link to a 6-port expansion module. Model NT5B74AABJ. Yeah---I sure hope I get the right hard drive.

OP Offline
I shouldn't call them "physical" ports---should I. What I should have said was 4 station numbers. I'm fairly certain that I've tried to intercom the "5th port" but I get "Out of service" I only get a response from 349, 350, 351 & 352.

I wouldn't call them physical ports so there is no confusion and will be difference between the fiber NAM and the Copper NAM.The NT number that you mentioned I think its a 2G NAM, so make sure that your hard drive is a 2G not 3G in order for it to work. To find out how many ports do you actually have just log into the VM as admin (feat 983-admin MB-PSWD) then dial 44 it will show you how, many ports are enabled for VM.I hope that helps.

OP Offline
Thanks Sam---I gave the supplier the NT number of the NAM ---and he looked up & cross referenced to a hard drive -- so I hope he sends me the right one--can only hope at this point. When I go on site later today, I'll do that enabled port look up.

OP Offline
Well, I just got the hard drive and indications are that it is a 20 GB drive--Seagate U6 model ST320410A--made in China.

Unfortunately that can't tell me much, it’s the name of the mfg of the hard drive, but not an indication on what is programmed on it. I will ask the supplier if it’s for 2G or 3G or whatever he assumedly should know. You should see the MOD on your unit if its 2G,3G.

[This message has been edited by samh (edited August 24, 2005).]

OP Offline
OK Sam---I thought the 2G & 3G were gig designations. I think I'm OK, because the supplier asked some specific questions and when I gave him the NT number he said, "OK, I know what you need, now" and that was that. I'll see what happens tonight when I crack the NAM open.

OP Offline
RATS!!! Customer forgot to e-mail everyone about checking all their messages. We're going back tomorrow night.

i think that you should check these parameters:
1 prime set of Line,
2 If busy to:
3 DRT
4 Ringing service
4 Atdt of viocemail Operator(Feature 982)
5 Atdt of viocemail's table

OP Offline
I installed the 4.1 hardrive---rebooted the system--the NAM came up nice--so did the phone system & PRIs---but I could not do a Restore using the 3 floppy disks that I had as a back-up from the 4.0 NAM hard drive. The floppy drive would click on (turn green) when I pressed OK. But it would only stay on for about 3 seconds--then turn off. I could not get into F983 because the password does not work---however, as stated, I can get into F915 and browse through ADMIN--and the restore seems to work--up to the point where it says "check floppy"--then it won't do anything else.
I had to put back the old 4.0 drive and retire for the nite. Any ideas? I was thinking that maybe I would go back in the A.M. and blast some canned air in the floppy---I've revived Mitel floppys with that trick. Maybe some dust got in there.

When you say the password is wrong and in the same time you were trying to do restore, I’m confused here. In order for you to do a restore you had to be logged in under feature 983, and then admin MB and password then you will need to dial 33 to start the process of restoring from the floppy. So I’m not sure where you were trying to do a restore or which password is not working. When you first install a new hard drive you will need to initialize the unit so when you first log in it using feature 983 it will prompt for a password (not LOG) and the password is XXXXXXXX and you will go in the process of choosing the language and other stuff usually leave it as default and it will configure the NAM ,then you will be able to log in using feat 983 and this time will prompt for LOG then you will enter the ADMIN MB and the PSWD, Then as I mentioned before you can attempt to perform a restore using code 33 . I hope that helps.

***Password Removed***

[This message has been edited by BCMguy.com (edited August 25, 2005).]

OP Offline
Thanks, Sam. That helps alot. I couldn't get in F983 so I got jumpy and got into F915--when I saw the RESTORE there---I thought, for some reason that the hard drive had been set up. Thanks. I'll go back on site tomorrow.

BCMGUY
The password I mention in the prior post was a common password not a secret one so I didn’t think it will do any harm to post it specially most people get confused when they first initially install a NAM on which password to use. But I guess I was wrong and sorry for not following the board and the moderator rules.

Hi Sam,

Mick got the info he needed before the password was removed. If that password were specific to this proceedure alone, I probably would have left it. The problem that I saw was that the SAME password should not be given out in reference to Norstar programming. I know there was no harm meant. When in doubt, lets not post them in public.

Thank you Sam, keep up the great work. You are an asset to this board.

Thanks!

------------------
BCM Guy
www.BCMguy.com
Learn more about the Nortel Networks Business Communications Manager HERE !

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
OP Offline
Well---installed the Hard drive-- and thanks to Sam, Marty, Toner, JWooten it is done. Fired right up, took the back up from the 4.0--got the structure, passwords, greetings--everything back. We still have some minor tweaking to do, but those were issues even before the upgrades.
Sam---I still can't believe I didn't try that password---how many times have I used it??? Just too many hours in the last month. This customer is happy and I'm happy. Thanks guys. I'm taking the week-end off.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,300
Posts638,879
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,774 Shoretel
189,850 CTX100 install
187,975 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 9
dans 7
dexman 6
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 110 guests, and 241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024