web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
OP Offline
I have a BCM400 v3.7 running Callpilot v2 with Outlook 2003 on the desktops.

New messages are automatically turning into saved messages 15-20 minutes after they are being received when Outlook is running.

Nortel and my vendor are stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Greg

Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Hi Greg, welcome to the board!

If a case has already been opened with Nortel and they are stumped, I probably won't be offering any NEW information. But, here is what I would have to say:

1) Previewing a message in Outlook is enough to mark the message as read. You don't have to actually hear (or even play) the message.

2) If the "preview" is not the issue, it is likely a software revision/patch issue. New patches from Microsoft have broken applications like these in the past. And, there is no way that the author of a program can account for that.

2a) Make sure that your BCM has the latest patches.

2b) Try another eMail client (or a different version/patch level of Outlook)

Good Luck!

------------------
BCM Guy
www.BCMguy.com
Learn more about the Nortel Networks Business Communications Manager HERE !

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
OP Offline
Thanks for the reply. Here's the situation so far...

We have been experiencing this problem since approximately a month after install, and the problem continues to spread to more users as the months drag on.

My vendor has not been the most proactive concerning this problem and I have discovered they lost their channel partner status, so I'm trying to work something out with Nortel (just found this out yesterday!)

Nortel's old tickets list the following potential fixes for the problem:

1) "Replace entire mailbox." I tried deleting my mailbox and rebuilt it, however same problem still occuring.

2) "Install BCM 7.0" I assume they mean "3.7" and my former vendor did that, however it didn't seem to work. There's also a concern that it may be gray-market software, so Nortel and I and another vendor (?) will look into that.

3) "Reprogram Call Pilot" I'm guessing this means I need to nuke my entire voicemail system and start from scratch, but that's a very unsavory option, and unless it's absolutely necessary and will definitely fix my problem I don't want to do it.

I'm feeling a bit disappointed that no one on two phone tech bulliten boards seem to have heard about this problem as I'm afraid I will be having to shut off the Outlook abilities for Call Pilot in order to have the MWI work properly, but then I will lose fax capabilities for the system.

Thanks again,

Greg

I have this *EXACT* problem with our Nortel BCM as well.

BCM 3.6 Build 2.2c
Callpilot Desktop Messaging Build 2.01.27.15
Microsoft Outlook 2002 (10.6515.6714) SP3

Nortel told us that this is a "Microsoft Outlook" problem and refuses to fix it. Our telecom company that sold it to us tried to re-configure Outlook to fix the problem, but were unsuccessful.

The whole reason we bought the BCM was for the Desktop Messaging that integrated with Outlook.

I was recently contacted by someone else having the same problem that read my usenet posting about it. It appears that we are not alone.

If anyone finds a "fix", please post it.

Regards,
Terry Trapp

OP Offline
Latest info from Nortel is that this is a known issue however there is no fix. The new service tech I have been talking to has recommended disabling CallPilot in Outlook until a fix is published.....

Outlook is definitely the culprit. You could try a better email program; Outlook has lots of its own problems including the most common point of entry for viruses.
As a Nortel employee I was on the Nortel Call Pilot Beta Team back when Call Pilot was only for PBX systems. It always took a while for them to get other vendors like Microsoft and Lotus to coordinate a fix for things.

Hello MadProfessor,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for your input on this issue. Your comments fit right in to my experience as well. When an application is written, it can only be tested with third party applications (Outlook) that are available at the time. If that third party application changes in some way after the fact, there is no guarantee that the change will not break other apps.

How can Nortel be responsible for a change that Microsoft made? I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for Microsoft to fix the issue. And, I wouldn't hold Nortel responsible either.

Marty Beutler
Follow me on my quest to webify all of us at Webify.Us
--> Providing Business Relevance for Web 2.0 Technologies
Thanks BCMguy. I've been doing this stuff for a while and I thought that I might try to give back to the "community."

Originally posted by BCMguy.com:
Hello MadProfessor,

Welcome to the board, and thanks for your input on this issue. Your comments fit right in to my experience as well. When an application is written, it can only be tested with third party applications (Outlook) that are available at the time. If that third party application changes in some way after the fact, there is no guarantee that the change will not break other apps.

How can Nortel be responsible for a change that Microsoft made? I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for Microsoft to fix the issue. And, I wouldn't hold Nortel responsible either.
I totally disagree. In this circumstance it is the full responsibilty of nortel to stay on top of any Microsoft changes and to be fully prepared. They are the ones offering an integrated solution (unified messageing)with outlook and need to work out any and all gremlins that arise from upgrades or even patches MS may put out. Otherwise the need a CYA clause that states Unified messaging only works with xyz version of outlook, and will not support any other future version. Then we'll see if the customer wants to buy a nortel product.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,380 Shoretel
189,087 CTX100 install
187,412 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024