Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
Installed these at a school a couple of months ago. The electrician finally showed up to install the door release yesterday.

I have 2 problems:

1-Door phone is setup as Vad60 recommended to ring a non existing extension...in this case 26 & the other phones are assigned Answer DN's. The 3 digital sets work fine but the Cordless (on an ATA)will not ring. I know that I can't put an Answer DN on that so the only way that I see is to have one of the sets forward their calls to it. Then it will ring & they can answer. It's a work around but it's the only way that I can think of. The secretary is peeved as it's "One more thing to do when I leave at noon". Any other brain storms out there?

2-The biggest problem is that once answered by the cordless, they cannot make the door release when pressing 6. I even tried with "Long Tones"...no way.

The main reason why they took this system was to give the "On Duty Teacher" the ability to open the door from whereever they were in the school. I'm sure I read that this was supposed to work from a cordless, so what am I missing? :shrug:

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Nortel Phone System Service
VoIP Demo

Nortel Phone System Service in Canada

Do you need a Nortel Phone System technician or specific Nortel parts?
Atcom to the rescue! Our telephone techs have qualified experience servicing and troubleshooting Nortel CICS, MICS, & BCM telephone systems.
Service in Canada from sea to sea.

Hi Dave,
Long time no talk. I don't think that answer DN is going to ring on SL Cordless telephone simpley cause it is not Icm. or Trunk call. What you've read was about Norstar Cordless T7406 telphone. It has programmable buttons that can be assign as Answer DN. Why don't you assign Cordless telephone instead of Ext.26 as your Door phone Ext. and make everybody to have Cordless as an Answer DN Ext. Make sure that Cordless doesn't have MB and is not forwarded to VM. If you would tell me at the beginning that you are going to have SL Cordless I would know better what to suggest. Try that scenario and find out or this is working for you. I belive that once Cordless starts to ring you would be able to answer and hit 6 to open.

Good luck

Door phone should point to SLT cordless and ANS DN for the cordless on the digital sets. Make sure your dip switches in the controller are set correctly for digit 6. See if you can adjust the tone burst time from the cordless.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
The SLT cordless in combination with the ATA should pass tones.

Are you sure the cordless is doing it? Hook your buttset up in between the ATA and the cordless base so you can monitor the tones.

OP Offline
No voicemail to worry about....small school that needed the security aspect of this due to the number of weirdos out there nowadays.

I'll stop there today and change the target as you both suggest...that will at least make the scretary happy.

I doubt that that will let the C/L buzz them in though, but we'll see. I tried yesterday to hold down the 6 on the C/L to give it time to send a T/T signal but to no avail, even with my but set connected to the ATA it wouldn't work even with Long Tones.

The dip switches are set correct as the other phones have no problems.

I'll let you know.

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
OP Offline
UPDATE....

Changing the target DN did the trick for the ringing, but I still can't get the door release to operate from the cordless.

Twisted Pair....Sorry, our posts must have crossed so I didn't see it B/4 leaving this am. No, I haven't tried that, but the last time I was there I used the buttset in lieu of the C/L, & it still wouldn't work. Even changed the ATA...still no go.

I'll most likely be in the area next week, so I'll try your suggestion for the fun of it.

I know they can't afford a T7406 C/L, but maybe if I can find a working M7410.....

Dave

OP Offline
An afterthought for Twisted Pair....

I know it's emitting tones as I could hear the tone going throught the speaker of the door phone. I could have held the 6 for an hour and it still didn't engage the release.

Dave

The DOC is installed and it works fine from a Nortel station set?

Pushing the soft touch "open" button or using the "6" button from a Nortel phone?

OP Offline
Yes Sir.....it's just the cordless...

Dave

Hmmm.....I have used the Nortel door phone but never with an ATA.

I have used an aftermarket door intercom/release unit (on a spare trunk port) with an ATA and cordless which works fine. That's how I know the ATA will pass tones.

You don't suppose Nortel has something in there that won't allow an ATA to pass tones internally? The strange part is that you can hear the tone through the door speaker, so I would assume the unit would also hear this and pass it to the DOC.

Although I have never done it, I was told by Nortel you can also call in externally and route your call to the door phone to release the strike as well. I am wondering how this is accomplished because I don't think it's much different from what you are doing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (nortelvoip), 120 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024