Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
And so it begins....
Story here.

I've often wondered how long it would be before hardwired ISP's came up with a way to put the squeeze on customers for high speed Internet.

As far as I'm concerned that's all this is, a way to do it. To me, it's as if they want to take my money for a service I want but they really don't want me to use it. But hey, if I do actually use it they feel as if I should pay more for it.
The problem is I'm already paying more for a faster downloading speed. Note: My ISP has not begun this (yet) but if it's successful with Time Warner you can bet they will!

I know, I know, they can come up with all kinds of techno bable to justify the additional fees but it all boils down to common sense. If I am willing to pay more for a faster download speed it's quite obvious I'm going to use the service more than a user that's perfectly happy with a slower speed.

I've never heard of any customer getting a refund if they don't use the service to it's full capacity. But they don't want to inject that into the usage survey data at all.

Bottom line, if I were a customer of Time Warner (and at all possible) I would be letting them know I will be changing ISP's when my contract expires and the reason for it! That's the only way this is going to stop. If the first ISP that tries this and looses a lot of it's customer base the others will know not to go there.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Bobby....

Bell Canada has already applied for this possibility with the CRTC, the Canadian version of the FCC.

I forget the figures, but it's something like 15% of the users are using 85% of the bandwidth.

Will be very interesting to watch for the outcome.

If they get away with AND the cable companies are smart enought not to try doing it, they will ultimately end up with a much larger piece of the pie.

Sadly, though, they will try.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Nickle & dime, nickel & dime... :bang:

www.phonelinetech.com

"Can I Still Call Out?"
Sorry, I thought I paid for dedicated internet access, not "oops I over-sold my bandwidth and now want you to pay for my blunder" internet access. I have it on good word that they are doing this metering "upgrade" to the time-warner cable system here in tampa, hopefully they wont apply this flawed logic to business accounts. If they do, I'll be pulling my account and going elsewhere. The clencher is that they ALREADY have multi-strand fiber laid and are just too lazy to light up some of the dark strands. For the cost of lighting up the extra strands they more then pay it off in a year, or less, and could commit to what they sold in the process.

And now all of those pop up ads and spam email are going to cost you, more than just aggravation.

JimmyV

"Well informed people know it is impossible to transmit the voice over wires. Even if it were, it would be of no practical value" Boston Post, 1865
Let's see, I selling a product and charging everyone the same price. Only 15% are using it as I designed it, but yet I'm making money like all 100% were using it as designed. Guess I'd better figure out how to raise my rates or I might have to upgrade my product to perform as advertised.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Do I get a discount for SLOW downloads when I KNOW the distant server is capable of FAST uploads? Oh, yeah, fair is only 'fair' when it's their $$$, I forgot. When they start that here, I guess I'll be calling Embarq. After all, TWC trenched my septic tank radials when they put in the 'upgraded' cable to provide Hi-speed and digital cable, and haven't repaired it yet. Oh yeah, they were the ones that said I needed to upgrade the cable to the digital TV jack because channels 2-13 slowly 'faded to black' from about 2P to 6p and came back sometime after midnight. Only $85! I said fine, let's do that and when that doesn't fix the problem then you give me back my $85 AND 6 months of free cable, just like the last 3 months you've given me because you haven't been able to fix the problem. OH, and how come it works well until 2P everday? "Uh, let me see what I can do with new splitters". TA-DA, now it works. OOPS, is my irritation showing? Here's the soapbox, somebody. John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
I agree that their plan to start charging more for the reasons they list is pretty lousy but none of this is new thinking.

Most hosting providers (web/email/ftp/etc) have bandwidth caps and/or surcharges for going over the limits. The benefits are you get (usually) very fast connection speeds for your site for a reasonable cost.

As for not having enough equipment to handle 100% demand for 100% of the customers, again it's nothing new. The dialup ISP's have been doing the exact same thing for YEARS. That's how they make money. Let's look at one of the few dialup providers that are left. They offer $9.95/mo unlimited access. For them to be able to provide 100% access to all of their customers, they would need a "line" for each and every one of their customers. Each "line" costs roughly double what the ISP is charging for access. That's why back when everyone was on dialup, you normally got a busy tone during peak hours. the customer to trunk ration was usually 16:1 or more. They got away with it because they knew that the majority of their users did not utilize their services to 100% of what was offered. Most people would dial in, surf for a while and/or check mail and disconnect leaving the line free for the next customer.

The high speed ISP's are only following the same business plan that the dial up ISP's used.

Overall, I'd say it's just a sneaky way to help pay the new expenses that are coming because of the overall increase of internet users and bandwidth requirements as a whole. When most of these companies setup their networks, they didn't build them for streaming video and voice, etc.

OP Offline
I know this is nothing new. smile
I also know how ISP's make money because I helped manage one for a couple of years in the past.

My point is that it's simply a cost of doing business to increase your bandwidth if you are an ISP as you increase your customer base.
An increase in bandwidth will benefit EVERY user regardless of how much or how little they surf the net.
So why not pass the cost to every customer instead of singling out your best customers?

Well the designed plan of over-selling your capacity is not new, the phone company has been doing it since the inception basically. If everyone picked up a phone line and tried to dial, you would hear a LOT of busies (yeah yeah, someone else can fill in the technical term for all circuits busy). The problem is they oversell by a HUGE ratio, like the 20-25:1. I pay for TWC Business and i'm on the phone with them every chance I get when I have an outage. If i'm paying for dedicated that's what I want, and when I have service interrupts, I want a trouble ticket created so I can get another free month's worth of service. If you hold their feet to the fire eventually they will learn it's hot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,854
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,662 Shoretel
189,568 CTX100 install
187,847 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024