web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bobby,

If an increase in bandwidth will benefit EVERY user regardless of how much or how little they surf the net.

Why should not all users share the burden? Kind of like a regressive tax IMHO

Why should cigarette smokers, alcohol drinkers, automobile drivers and internet power users, need to pay more? All the while the insurance companies get richer.

Yes, I'm guilty of the four smile but I do not play the lottery. Might just win!

John

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Originally posted by Kumba:
Well the designed plan of over-selling your capacity is not new, the phone company has been doing it since the inception basically. If everyone picked up a phone line and tried to dial, you would hear a LOT of busies (yeah yeah, someone else can fill in the technical term for all circuits busy).
At least most of the telephone network was based on queing theory, shouldn't isp's do similar research? If they're let off the hook, we all are subject to a lesser standard of acceptibility. Then we only have ourselves to blame for the acceptance of inferior service.

Ala the cell phone industry. You got me on a rant bro, nothing personal.

John

KLD Offline
Hmmmm, what the market will bear?

Or, take all you can get?

Basic business principles say you have to make money or it is a hobby....which is it?

And unless we, the consumer, do something it will continue....

...and then try their "Business Class" telephone service....

Ken
---------
My ISP (cable) has implimented a download cap. Personally I'll never reach it unless I start downloading movies daily, but i think it is unfair to change the rules mid contract.

The Canadian Radio and Television Commision (CRTC), FTC in the US, has traditionally had a hands off approach to regulating the internet. However some new data and complaints from high end users has surfaced about "bandwidth throttling" because the pipe is full, so now theyre investigating the practice.

Bandwidth throttling is intentionally slowing a given connnection. The ones complaining the loudest are the resellers who are saying the major ISP's are throttling back their customers.

While we are the heaviest per capita users of internet technology in the world, carriers in this country have not invested in the backbone infrastructure for years. We were once on the top of the heap in technology, now we are way behind. Never mind last mile fiber, there's still mostly copper from node to node. As a result the pipe is full and ISP's have to intentionally slow your connection down during peak times to accomodate more users. Of course everyone is denying the practice.

Marv CCNA, CTUB
TeleMarv Services (Retired)
Providing telecommunication solutions in Ottawa Canada since 1990
Maybe I'm missing something. Is there a reason why ISPs would not change to a model where they charge a smaller monthly fee for everyone and then charge per usage? Light and heavy users would get what they are paying for, and, pay for what they are getting.

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The ISP that I use (Comcast) at home offers several different rate packages, similar to DSL. Each package offers increases in capacity and additional support services. It seems to be the most logical approach to me since you get what you pay for.

Light (home) users get the $40.00 package and there are three tiers of business packages up to $100.00. I know that the truth is that they just make an adjustment to the modem. It's not like they are building out their network any differently for business users.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Richard, I re-read the article, and I see nothing about reducing the monthly fee. Just adding "usage penalties" (My description, tho I think it's accurate) to the exhisting monthly fee!
John C. (Not Garand)

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
This is really part of a larger issue. Google "net neutrality" and you'll find a whole host of issues related to Internet access, ranging from lack of service for small towns to ISPs wanting to give bandwidth preference for certain content/services. Pretty interesting stuff really.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
Originally posted by jimmyv:
And now all of those pop up ads and spam email are going to cost you, more than just aggravation.
Actually, if the ISP's or Governments could stop that crapola, it would make everyone happy....well all except the creeps that keep sending it.

We need a "Do Not Spam" list. I know that it's a very slippery slope, but surely something could be done...

If a local ISP would actually have the brass ones to block these on request by the users, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
I have comcast here and on a related note 6 of my cable channels stopped working yesterday. I called tech support today and was told "sorry we changed the channel numbers" so after I wrote down what the new numbers were I asked about two channels he failed to mention. One is CMT , he then informs me I won't receive those at all anymore unless I rent a digital box (extra monthly charge)

I said to him" so you just changed all these channels and discontinued service without giving any notice?" He repled "sorry"

If you send out too much email comcast will block your port 25.

If you purchase a tire you can put it on your truck, make a tire swing, turn it into a planter or whatever your heart desires.

The same can not be said for bandwidth!

It will be a sad day if there is not open access to any and all types of information online.

I say if but many say when.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,846
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,657 Shoretel
189,551 CTX100 install
187,806 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 183 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024