web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20274 09/21/08 03:34 PM
I have calls like this all the time for a bank we service. Fax lines shared with alarms, Edison meters etc. Most of the time the proper line is there at the demarc just not cross connected. Sometiems there are incoming lines that are doing nothing that I can switch to.

Technician I IBEW Local #58 Detroit, MI
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#20275 09/26/08 05:03 AM
Originally posted by Arthur P. Bloom:
On a Panasonic and some other systems, the W/Bl pair has dial tone, but not on a Samsung system jack.
That relates to a problem we have over here with some Panasonic systems when people start "playing around" with the connections.

On the BT-style jacks, a regular POTS line is on terminals 2 & 5, with no. 3 of the innermost pair being used as a separate bell feed from a capacitor at the master jack. Some of the proprietary Panasonic systems in their U.K. versions (which don't need the third ringer wire) were designed to use 3 & 4 as the data pair (W/O pair from the PBX). That means you have to determine in advance whether a jack is for S/L or system phone, select the correct type of jack (with or without ringer capacitor) and wire it accordingly.

The average user just sees a phone jack and assumes you can plug anything into it, with the result that some older S/L equipment doesn't ring on incoming calls and/or the ringer bridged from tip to one side of the data pair causes havoc with the keyphones.

Fortunately the later Panasonic systems adopted the scheme they should have used in the first place, using a 6-way cord and putting the data pair on 1 & 6 of the BT jack. That way all the jacks can be wired the same and accept an S/L phone or keyphone.

But we have added complications with the crossover line cords which are then needed for the proprietary phones, plus there is the added problem two different line cords for S/L equipment to go from the BT jack to the modular on the phone (some putting BT 2/5 to the modular 3/4, others on older equipment using a straight-through arrangement).

You can imagine the chaos that can ensue when users swap cords around without realizing there are different types.

#20276 09/26/08 08:31 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Sounds like the phones of a not-to-be-named- manufacturer. The all look exactly the same, and the only way you got in trouble was swapping handsets. This was during the period when electret transmitters were starting to be deployed. The new transmitters had the same shape as the standard carbon transmitter, so that there was no expense for a new handset shell. But, they were not electrically interchangeable. LOOOOOOWWWW transmit levels if you swapped handsets. So the customer would walk around 'troubleshooting' until only 1 or 2 phones were usable, and then call for help. Boy , was that fun! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,297
Posts638,858
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,667 Shoretel
189,590 CTX100 install
187,848 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 144 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024