Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Already learning a lot! I love this place.. laugh

Okay, a couple of more questions.

- On the butt set I have, there's two plastic tubes that run up and down the length of the cord. I've seen it on other sets as well. What are they for?

- Related to the butt sets, when I've been looking at them online, I see some that aren't supposed to interfere with DSL. If I remember reading right, it has something to do with voltages. Could someone explain further? What happens if it were to connect a butt set to a line with DSL on it? Does it just drop the DSL connection? Is there potential for equipment damage? What about connecting it to a data circuit, such as a 2 wire T-1?

I printed off a bunch of Wikipedia articles yesterday, but haven't had a chance to go through them yet. So I'm sure once I do, I'll have even more questions.

Thanks again!
Scott

Complete noob.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
If you mean the plastic tubes on the cords, I believe they're just there to keep the cords from tangling. You slide them down and that straightens the cords out.

An off-hook Butt set is like a telephone. If you hook a new telephone up to a line that has DSL and don't put a filter on it, you will interfere with the DSL signal (reduce the speed). You won't damage the equipment but you won't help the circuit any.

If you connect a butt set to one side of a 4 wire T-1 line and you will knock down the line. A 2 Wire T-1 line is a form of DSL and I imagine you will interfere with the speed of the circuit.

Keep asking. That's why we're here.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Originally posted by mental ambiguity:

- Related to the butt sets, when I've been looking at them online, I see some that aren't supposed to interfere with DSL. If I remember reading right, it has something to do with voltages. Could someone explain further? What happens if it were to connect a butt set to a line with DSL on it? Does it just drop the DSL connection? Is there potential for equipment damage? What about connecting it to a data circuit, such as a 2 wire T-1?
It affects the operation of a data circuit because by placing the set on to the line you're affecting the impedance of the line itself. These sets were designed for testing basic phone lines (known as a POTS line for 'plain old telephone service'). When you connect your set on to the line with it on-hook you're bridging on to the line. The DC resistance is high because a capacitor inside blocks DC from passing while the device is on-hook. AC will still pass through the capacitor and activate the ringing circuit of the telephone if it's at the right voltage (90V at 20 Hz)... The AC going through the capacitor is fine because phones operate on -48V DC for what's known as 'talk battery'. When somebody picks up the phone, contacts inside the phone (or butt-set) connect the circuitry inside to the line and you can talk on it, make a call, whatever...the voltage at that point will then drop to about -10V or whatever needs to be there to provide approximately 21 mA of current. Once the line is back on-hook, the voltage will go back to -48V since again the DC will be blocked by the capacitor.

That's a rather long explanation but as an engineer I imagined you'd appreciate it. smile

Anyway...that's all good and fine for voice, but with data there is no on-hook or off-hook...you have data streaming continuously and by nature it's AC and therefore will pass through that capacitor in the butt-set's ringing circuit just fine. If you put a butt-set on prior to the DSL filter, like Sam said, it will hurt the speeds and maybe knock it down a bit but DSL is a very 'hearty' service (for lack of a better word) and will overcome a lot of changes and survive. A T1, however, is a bit different and is a lot more sensitive to the impedance depending upon what type of delivery method is being used to bring it to the site. Usually there is 100 ohms of impedance on a T1 line and it is not designed to operate with things bridged on to the line...

--Matt
Hooray for wire wrap "They don't come loose until you want them to." I still have my wire wrap gun and wire stripper tools.

I did some wire wrapping just today... We still use them in our COs on DSX-1, QCP, and DDP panels.

I have used solder ones as well but those are pretty rare these days.

--Matt
OP Offline
My electrical knowledge is a little rusty, but I remember enough that that made sense. Thanks Matt!

Complete noob.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,296
Posts638,852
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,659 Shoretel
189,563 CTX100 install
187,845 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 124 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024