web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Originally posted by dagwoodsystems:
BTW, you'll notice that the screenshot used in this post is from my own machine. The error is related to the "upnphost", which I have purposely disabled. Read about the dangers of Universal Plug and Play at Steve Gibson\'s website
uhh, i thought that was fixed years ago...

"There is one thing and only one thing in which it is granted to you to be free in life, all else being beyond your power: that is to recognize and profess the truth." - Leo Tolstoy
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

The latest "fix" for uphphost was implemented in March of last year. See https://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-011.mspx for details.

Windows products are constantly probed for vulnerabilities, so it makes sense for me to disable the unnecessary services. Dramatic, perhaps. But I find comfort with that level of caution.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
Just read that some HP and Compaq systems with certain AMD processors have been spontaneously rebooting since their owners installed XP SP3. Some machines reboot endlessly, others less so.

https://www.pcworld.com/businesscen...eboot_hell_and_how_to_get_out_of_it.html

sph Offline
Made a mess, see below. Need to take computer class.

sph Offline
That's because HP and several other manufacturers shipped machines with unsupported configurations. Microsoft posted an updated version of their warning against using the practice the same day SP3 was released for general distro. This is not new. The same thing had happened with SP2.
web page
Unlike the mess Microsoft created with Vista SP1, this thing is not their fault.

Did you say you've done a clean install on the OS?

That's the only way to eliminate the possibilities of it being software related.

Also, a "rebooting PC" can be a sure sign of any number of viruses which create symptoms such as that.

Another possibility, in my experience, is that the Motherboard Capacitors are going bad. Look at the caps around the processor to see if they are "bubbling up".

Heat... open the box and use a small fan to cool MB ,CPU, memory and video.

Also remove all cards clean contacts and reseat.

a flaky powersuply will cause pc's to reboot.

Moderator-1A2, Cabling
OP Offline
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
So I'm back from vacation and the PC has been continuing to reboot. Following Dagwoodsystems excellent advice I've been checking the event monitor, but to no avail. The system reboots and there's no message.

To date I had resolved two problems - a bum Cd/DVD drive that caused a reboot when accessed and a problem with Zone Alarm's True Vector software (that also caused reboots).

At this point the POS PC has been rebooting with no indications as to why every 2 or 3 hours. I've tried everything else at this point so maybe it's bad memory. I downloaded Microsofts memory test and ran it for five straight hours (booting off a floppy)- no problems & no reboots.

I opened the cover and ran the machine with a fan pointing at the system. It crashed. I cleaned the contacts on the cards and checked the condensors on the mother board. It crashed.

By now I was really ticked off. I went down to the dreaded basement and grabbed an old PC and stripped out the power supply.

Now people have been suggesting a defective power supply as a problem for a while, Kevin G most recently. I was a little hesitant for a couple of reasons. First, I'd changed the PS 2 or 3 years ago and installed a larger, "better" unit and second, when I'd booted to an "A" prompt with a floppy (two separate times), the system never crashed.

But it was this or buy a new system so I swapped out the power supply. The existing unit was a large 430 Watt model and the one I had grabbed was a paltry 300 Watts, but what the heck, let's experiment.

I only hooked up one of the 3 hard disks in the unit (I'd already disconnected one of the drives during previous troubleshooting). I figured the Mac is my new primary system, if I can get the PC to work it'll only be for the things I CAN'T get running on the Mac (Visio, Spider Solitaire [the easy version from MS], dBase, Easy Bridge etc.) so one disk should do it. I'll back up whatever I need to an external USB drive.

I threw the PS in and lo and behold it's been running for over 30 hours without a blip. Maybe HD #2 is causing problems? Nah,it's the PS.

3 simultaneous, different problems in one machine. Go figure.

My thanks to everyone who has helped me in this endeavor, especially Dagwoodsystems without whose help I never would have found the True Vector problem. (Now I've got to call ZA and ask them what they have to say for themselves!).

What a great bunch of guys (and gals!) here. What a wealth of knowledge! This place is awesome!

Thanks again,

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,730 Shoretel
189,776 CTX100 install
187,934 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 119 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024