web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
My fiance recently purchased an Asus Essentio CM5570 desktop for me. Forgive me in advance for the length of this post, but I'm trying to include all pertinent information.

Secifications:
Processor:
Type: Intel Pentium E5400 / 2.7 GHz
Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core
64-bit Computing: Yes

Cache Memory
* Type: L2 cache
* Installed Size: 2 MB
* Cache Per Processor: 2 MB

Mainboard
* Data bus speed 800 MHz

RAM
* Installed Size 6 GB / 16 GB (max)
* Technology DDR3 SDRAM

Storage
* Hard Drive 1 x 750 GB - Serial ATA - S-ATA - 7200 rpm , Standard

Graphics Controller
* Type Integrated
* Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel GMA X4500 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0
* Video Memory 1759 MB (max)
* Max Allocated RAM Size 1759 MB
* Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI) , High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)

Operating System / Software
* OS Provided Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition

I have this connected to a Westinghouse 22" LCD monitor. I believe it's 720p, but it's a couple years old and I don't quite remember. The onboard graphics left tons to be desired, so I installed a 450w psu (from 300w), and upgraded to a nVidia GeForce 9500 GT grahics card with 1 gig of memory.

Issue: The graphics look great and respond very well, but I'm getting sporadic black screens that last about 3 to 5 seconds. Activity appears to have continued as usual when the display re-appears. I've swapped out monitors, and the issue stays with the PC (though it was with the same model display). I've checked error logs and see no errors that correspond to the times this occurs. I've scoured google and cannot seem to find this same problem. Any insight as to what I'm missing?

TIA!

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
Sounds like a driver issue! If this is a Asus nvidia card pull down the newest drivers. Utilities are also available and may help in diagnosing your trouble. You could also connect the hdmi output to see if its affected.

Are you sure you have enough power? Maybe it's too hot? Are the fans spinning?

OP Offline
Everything is spinning. This card requires a 400w psu, and I put in a 450w. I do think it's a driver issue. I'm going to spend this weekend uninstalling and reinstalling the hardware and drivers, and I'll let you guys know if that works. Thanks!

"I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to."
-- Jimi Hendrix

It's not a power supply issue nor is it a motherboard driver issue. I've seen this happen many times--often when people are trying to support dual monitors.

The latest drivers WILL work, but you may find that Nvidia's slightly older, more proven drivers work a whole lot better. Nvidia makes great cards, but getting them to behave for your specific machine, tastes in gaming, Photoshop, paste-up (or whatever) can really be maddening.

Are you sure your fiancé isn't secretly trying to kill you for the insurance money? :oP

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
OP Offline
eek I hope not! I'm really not worth that much dead unless he makes it look like an accident. laugh

When I installed the card, Windows auto applied its version of the Nvidia driver. It did not give me a chance to say, "No! Don't DOOOO that!" Trying to apply the drivers from Nvidia after the fact has been a study in uselessness. The black screen is not application-specific. It's very politically correct and affects all programs equally.

-- Jimi Hendrix

Moderator-Comdial
Moderator-Comdial
You must be very careful when applying new drivers. There may or may not be a specific order with installation. Also, you may need to do a Bios update to realize the full effect. Spend some time with the asus tech people for other insights to your issues!!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Remove the old driver then run a program called driver sweeper before you install the new one. You might also need to do a chipset driver upgrade. I only flash the bios as a very last resort, because if you do that before the other steps it will not do much good.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
OP Offline
Now you all are making me nervous. frown So...
1) Remove the Nvidia card
2) Uninstall all Nvidia drivers
3) Run Driver Sweeper (which I assume I can google smile )
4) Upgrade the chipset if needed. Would I get this from the Asus website?
5) Install the Nvidia drivers from the Nvidia web site.
6) Reinstall the graphics card.

Does that sound about right?

-- Jimi Hendrix

Keighlar,

When I services alot of work stations, the common issue with no screen display had lots to do with the memory stick loosing contact with its fingers. Its quick just to remove, inspect the contact pads, then reinstall the memory.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,306
Posts638,894
Members49,771
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,907 Shoretel
190,056 CTX100 install
188,227 1a2 system
Newest Members
Mansour, Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks
49,770 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 17
teleco 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
dans 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 88 guests, and 34 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024