Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#264515 10/11/09 12:31 AM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
A simpler (and safer) option would be to get another public ip address, put a switch between the router and modem and then feed the wireless access point off the switch.

Most cable companies allow 3 dynamic ip's per account or you can get a block of 5 if you use statics.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#264516 10/11/09 02:30 AM
Originally posted by upstateny:
About time we got them back!!
I think it's best if people stick with doing what they know how to do, instead of doing a shoddy job. Someone who expected to be able to separate the wired and wireless ports on a Linksys router is someone who does not have the experience to be doing what they are trying to do.

As to your suggestion about a 2nd IP address, that will most likely have a monthly recurring cost associated with it which will, over time, exceed that of using a better router. (I don't know of any ISP that gives you a 2nd IP for free).

Most cable companies allow 3 dynamic ip's per account or you can get a block of 5 if you use statics.
Why would you think this is cable? Probably isn't, most commercial districts are not yet wired for cable.

#264517 10/12/09 12:59 AM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Originally posted by brianl703:
Originally posted by upstateny:
About time we got them back!!
I think it's best if people stick with doing what they know how to do, instead of doing a shoddy job. Someone who expected to be able to separate the wired and wireless ports on a Linksys router is someone who does not have the experience to be doing what they are trying to do.

As to your suggestion about a 2nd IP address, that will most likely have a monthly recurring cost associated with it which will, over time, exceed that of using a better router. (I don't know of any ISP that gives you a 2nd IP for free).

Why would you think this is cable? Probably isn't, most commercial districts are not yet wired for cable.
My first comment was a joke....sorry you mistook it for a serious comment.

I have no idea whether cable is available....and in my area the entire commercial district is covered by the local cable company...who gives 3 dynamic addresses with the purchase of internet
access.

Not sure who your customers deal with for ISP's but i rarely see any extra charge for additional static addresses in my area...you just need to explain why you need them.

I wasn't telling him to do it...just suggesting a possibility that would properly address the issues associated with sharing one internet connection.

#264518 10/12/09 08:35 AM
and in my area the entire commercial district is covered by the local cable company
The local cable company here has been doing a better job of getting their services extended to commercial areas as of the last few years, but there are still many commercial areas that they haven't wired. They focused their efforts on residential areas first.

Not sure who your customers deal with for ISP's
Comcast is the major cable ISP in the area. They charge for extra IPs.

Verizon does not even offer additional IPs on their DSL service, from what I've been told. They do on their FIOS business service, but that has even poorer availability in commercial areas than Comcast does.

I wasn't telling him to do it...just suggesting a possibility that would properly address the issues associated with sharing one internet connection.
It would, if that option is available.

#264519 10/15/09 12:55 PM
Originally posted by rustynails:
Netgear DIR655 has exactly what you are looking for; a wireless guest zone which is completely segmented from the host zone, both wired and wireless.
Check that ...DLink not Netgear

#264520 10/19/09 03:31 AM
sph Offline
For the past 2 years I've been using this at home:

home router

I wouldn't recommend it for public access, but for a small network that wants to provide occasional guest wireless access, it's ok. The drawbacks: it has a 5 concurrent-user licence only (fine for me @ home as there's almost never more than 3 of us simultaneously online) - you can upgrade to 15 max.
You need an annual subscription (less than half the purchase price) for updates to the gateway firewall, intrusion detection, antivirus, antispam and reporting (all services are monitored by CheckPoint). Also, access slows noticeably when you set the built-in antivirus to check ftp transfers.
And it's kind of dated compared to the newest home routers.
But there's no home router that beats it in security.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,618 Shoretel
189,509 CTX100 install
187,769 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 137 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024