web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
tejas Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a couple of questions concerning butt sets. I recently bought the MT-8100 to replace my old one, but I've found that it doesn't work for many of the things I do with a butt set. I suspect the "High Impedance Monitor" is the cause, and I'm asking if anyone knows if this is the case.
Here's some of the problems I'm having with the new butt set;

Cannot test for dial tone on the Avaya ACS.
Cannot monitor for data on second pair of ACS extension.
Cannot monitor the output of a sound system.

I really need to know if this because of the "High Impedance Monitor" before I exchange this set for a different one.
That pretty much sums up my first question.

The other question is about these "DSL Safe" sets.
What is the deal exactly? I use an older butt set to check phone lines with DSL all the time, and I've never had any problem. The DSL doesn't stop working. So I don't understand why I need a data safe set. Can someone explain that to me?

I appreciate any help I can get with this.

*Anything done in haste is usually wrong-
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Welcome! welcome
Great questions! I suspect that your butt set is the problem since you can't even monitor a page output.
I'm looking forward to what the Avaya gurus here have to say. Myself, I've never known of any problem I've caused by using my non-data safe butt sets but then, I'm usually careful when working around DLS lines. But even with a data safe set, it's easy to short out the pairs with the clips

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

tejas Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome.
I should have mentioned, the set works fine on C O lines, just nothing else I've tried.....

Admin
Admin
It's not the "high impedance monitor". I paid a little less for the Progressive 810 set, with display. I love it!

There's nothing that should prevent you from testing the tip and ring of an Avaya ACS, unless you're trying to draw dial tone with a system telephone connected. Then, IIRC you can't get T&R with the data pair online. I could be wrong, but Panasonic systems don't unless you tell it you have bridged a s/l set to it.

I"d be looking at something regarding the speakerphone mode. Any butt set I've owned has let me monitor across a speaker or data pair and you can hear it in the monitor mode, from the $99 Walker to the TS-22 I owned for 10 or so years. Maybe the Ecllipse has something odd about it. I got my PE-810 from a place that gave me a 14 day trial and I could return it for exchange on the butt set of my choice.

Carl

Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Partner ACS will allow you to go off hook on a single line phone (or butt set) on the voice pair even if there is a multiline phone connected. This is what allows you to use a cordless phone, headset, etc. with the system.

"DSL Safe" butt sets either give you a warning if you clip onto a line with DSL active on it, or even prevent you from going off hook. I've found that going off hook on an active DSL line will cause the modem to lose synch until you disconnect.

After downloading and reading the manual for your new butt set, I can't say that I'm very impressed...

tejas Offline OP
OP Offline
On the ACS, Tip and Ring are analog, I can always get a dial tone there, except with this set. Also, I've always been able to "Monitor" the second pair and listen for the 'motorboat'. With the 8100, I get nothing.

Last week, I was working on an office music system, and I couldn't get anything with the 8100.
Maybe you're right, and there's something odd about the Eclipse, or maybe this one is defective.

What is that you like about the PE-810?

tejas Offline OP
OP Offline
I somehow completely missed your post earlier, Tommy. I can't say I'm much impressed with it either. wink

SO, are you guys saying that a "data safe" set will otherwise function just as any other non-safe set, and I have POS.
I'm returning or exchanging it tomorrow, and I didn't want to end up with the same problem. Since it works on C O lines, but nothing else, I'm stumped as to why.

Admin
Admin
My 810 has a display. It shows loop current and CID info, and VOLTAGE!!! The other day, I was troubleshooting a line, I put my toner on continuity, and went to the other end where is showed less than 10 ma current and 6 volts.

It may do other stuff, I would have to RTFM to know. It was less than a buck eighty and much smaller than my 22.

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,377 Shoretel
189,078 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (mongo5150), 159 guests, and 426 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024