Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello all,

I have a customer I do cabling for and maintain their PCs. They currently have a ESI IVX S-Class GENII system. They currently have 3c.o lines off of a fractional T1 and have now ordered a 4th. They would like to have this 4th line installed into the system. I am unable to do this.

Some quick background on me: I worked a CST for IBT/Ameritech/SBC/ATT before moving to interconnect. I have only been doing the interconnect side of this for about 7months so I am fairly green when it comes to tel systems.I have SOME experience with: Norstar,Toshiba,Panasonic.Mostly Newer Panasonic systems. I have however been doing electrical work overall for 13+ years about 11 of that in telephone/data.

I have no problem attending training or becoming a dealer of systems when it makes sense and I have time BUT my customer wants this done NOW.

I would like to know what recourse I have here.
Can I work with one of you guys to get this done?
Can I pay someone that is a reseller to do the programming remotely?
Should I call ESI and explain the situation?

This customer tells me they will not use the company that originally installed this system. They have what they believe are legitimate reasons for this. As I am not into slamming other businesses I am not going to list them. smile

Thanks for the help in advance!

A CST's favorite numbers:0962/600
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

I'll be glad to either help you or find a contact in your area.

Do you know who installed the system originally?

OOOPS, As far as the previous installer is concerned I understand you not wanting to list them in open forum.

Do you have both the installer and admin passwords?

A yes or no will suffice, do not post them here.

Most dealers will help you provided the customer that owns it doesn't owe there former ESI dealer any money?

All thats needed are modem numbers.

Good Luck!

OP Offline
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I was given the name of the original installer.

I have ADMIN password but not Installer.

My customer is paid in full according to them.I cannot substantiate this but the customer seems to run a honest business and they have been in operation for awhile now.

I don't know which of their lines are being used to dial into the system...How do I determine this?

All I have for this system are ADMIN and USER guides.

What ever I can do to help out please let me know Like John said, If you need any help we can help or find someone in your area to help you out. Please let us know. Goiod luck......

This is not a new scenario. What you want done can be done. Here is the process.

1 Original installer will need to be contacted to obtain password. If no money is owed to the originall installer and the seperation is mutual then this shouldn't be a problem. If the installer doesn't want to give out the password then it can be reset through ESI with the assistance of an ESI reseller. This process puts the original installer in the loop of communications but the end responsibility goes to the system owner, per ESI.

2 Give the password to the ESI reseller of your choice. There are several of us here and elsewhere.

3 Connect jumper wire of new line to specified pair on 66 block.

4 ESI reseller you choose calls into the system with software and programs line four to your specs.

That is the NOW fix you spoke of earlier. For the long term you will need an ESI reseller in your territory. Sorry to be that way but ESI resellers try to look out for each other and take care of end users. Sometimes a difficult balance.

OP Offline
I'm certainly not trying to step on toes here.

I believe I am trying to go about this the correct way. I have an avenue to obtain the installation manual and passwords for this system but I have just started my own business and would like to do things the way I feel is "right".

My concern here is keeping my customer happy.

As far as I know the separation is not mutual. My customer actively sought me out due to dissatisfaction with the original installer.According to my customer the installer did not tell them he did not want their business anymore.

I can't say I feel comfortable calling the original installer for the the password either. I don't feel he has an obligation to provide this password to me.

I do believe ESI should provide the password to an owner of the system or their appointed representative in order to have the system serviced by a technician that meets their requirements.

That being said I believe that the owner of the ESI system is liable for any costs incurred as a result of switching from one communications company to another. So if ESI charges for a password reset then I guess they'll have to pay for it...

If my customer does owe money on this system or it's installation still (there is no evidence showing this to be the case) I believe the installer should reposess the system,have a lien issued, or contact a collection agency.

I honestly cannot see any way how I would be responsible legally or ethically to aid someone in collection of a debt in this instance.

I would not knowingly assist someone in ripping someone off for a service provided.Ever.

I'm not in anyway trying to be rude but assuming bad debts for no reason could cost me good,honest customers and I'm not willing to do that.

In order to progress from here it seems I should get with an ESI reseller that will offer this service to me (at a reasonable rate!lol) and see if they can get remote access with the default password.

Does that sound like a good idea?

Moderator-Comdial, ESI, Voicemail, Cisco
It sounds like a good idea to me.

Based on what John said, the ball is ultimately in the customer's court, as they are the owner of the equipment, and therefore can, at their option, request that the original installer default the password or tell them the current password, or work with a reseller (through you) to have ESI go through their procedure of defaulting the password. I don't honestly know if ESI charges a fee for this or not. I've never had to go through this (yet).

I think what I would suggest you do is contact an ESI dealer (John Grider or other) who you feel comfortable working with. Work out the details of your Plan B (having ESI dial in and default the password). Then go to your customer with the details of Plan A (your customer contacting the original installer and asking that they give them the password for the system that your customer owns, or change the password back to default) and Plan B (already described).

At that point, it's up to your customer, and you are doing nothing more than helping, should your customer choose to go with Plan B.

ESI tech support will not reset a PW to default without contacting the original installer for there side of the story.

ESI resellers do not have access to reset passwords. There is a default PW that any ESI reseller can use to access the system but if has been changed you are out of luck if they owe the original installer money.

I would call the reseller myself and get there side of the story - worst case they hang up on you.

I can tell you we get these calls quite frequntly from EBAY buyers and upset customers of our competitors and customers of competitors looking for help when they owe someone money.

I applaude ESI for standing up for there dealers.

If we find the ESI owner to owe money to even our competition we will not help them. If we don't stick together to collect money for work we have done then whats the point of billing the customer to start with?

I have a lawyer that owes allot of money and has threated to sue me, ESI and anyone else (because they own the system). I told them where to go and so did ESI in a conference call. Funny thing is that we told them we wanted to change the default PW they said it made sense for security. Now I tell them we will not provide them any service or information as they are on credit hold. They may own it but I have a right to collect monies due and a right to refuse service for non-payment.

We even have a signed work order with the comment of "outstanding service and work" for the technician that did the job. This lawyer is just trying to use there title "LAWYER" to not pay ne along with some other trades. I say use your cell phone.......no money NO PASSWORD.

Dig into this, ask hard questions and investigate and if all pans out any numnber of us will help.

PM Sent to Chad

OP Offline
I am working with this customer as their representative in these matters. They have hired me to just "deal" with these matters. There is paperwork on file with their DT provider etc. to allow me to do so. That being said the final say in any of this is up to me.

Judging by the responses here (thanks for them by the way) I guess I'll just contact the original reseller (assuming they are still in business) and attempt to get a password. If I can't get it then off to ESI and a reseller.

I want to deal with this tomorrow but it looks like I have an absolutely full day elsehwere so it may have to be done on friday or even next week.

OP Offline
Originally posted by LaneComm:

If we find the ESI owner to owe money to even our competition we will not help them. If we don't stick together to collect money for work we have done then whats the point of billing the customer to start with?

I can definitely understand where you are coming from here but isn't that what the legal system is for?
As businesses providing services we have recourse for monies owed to us.
A system like the one being described for ESI systems could be abused by unscrupulous dealers.

Regardless of my opinions on the matter I do admire the unity you guys show.

thanks alot for the help

OP Offline
Just so anyone readin this knows I am not upset in anyway shapre or form.

I'm slightly taken aback by the unity between phone system dealers. The interconnect guys in my area are pretty cutthroat and do a fair amount of underhanded stuff.

Heck, I might try to become an ESI reseller myself! Then I can be part of "the group" smile

You're on your way to being "part of the group" just by hanging out here. Stick around. I'm sure you will appreciate and enjoy the time spent here. The folks who offer help on this board (and the board, overall) are second to none.

welcome

Good luck with your situation. If any of us can be of assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

There is more to it than one ESI guy protecting unpaid invoices to another. In fact it has very little to do with it. Each ESI reseller has territories they work in. I personally am in Florida and should not be taking in new customers in Illinois. This doesn't mean I or any other reseller can't help you but eventually the resellers in your territory need to be considered.

The way I see this is you are an end customer. To do the things you want done eventually requires a reseller authorized by ESI. There are circumstances where a reseller can work out of his territory but that is up to ESI.

In other words you are gonna get the help you need and it will come from the ESI reseller of your choice.

Also I must add that this board has a set of rules and each of the specific members have rules and guidelines within their particular product line regarding their dealership status.

OP Offline
Well, it looks like my issue should be dealt with thanks to the people on this board. I sincerely appreciate the help!

As a guy that is just starting to work for himself it is VERY helpful to be able to have a group of knowledgable and helpful people to assist me in the operation of my business.

I look forward to working with the people here and hopefully helping out some of you if you have issues.

Thank you again

Chad Cheatham

I am glad you are happy please keep in mind that this board is full of experience and if you need something in the future please come back to this board anytime and see if we can be just as helpful in the future.

Good luck in running your own business and if you ever need something just look to this board someone may have an answer for you.

SST Offline
Boy did this turn in to a long thread fast!

I guess I'll just contact the original reseller (assuming they are still in business)

Heck, I might try to become an ESI reseller myself! Then I can be part of "the group"
If they are no longer in buisness, this could be a very good oppertunity for you to become an or THE ESI dealer in that area. And with any luck you may have access to an instant customer base from the previous company.

I think this turned into a long thread because it was a rare occasion where Chad ask for help instead of demanding it, he actually understood the difference between admin and installer programming and to top it all off he had a desire to do business with money if that is what it took.

I think everybody wanted to be part of it just to see what it was like.

well hell, if everyone else is jumping in, I'm in too..... Welcome, and blah blah blah blah bhal<------ Jules spelling! [Linked Image from ganjataz.com]

hmmmm I believe this is the 546 time that John correctly handled an ESI service request online! He's slowly catching Ed! [Linked Image from dune.servint.com]

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Throttle back there, Jim! Nobody's going to mess with my post record or else!
[Linked Image from img374.imageshack.us]

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Originally posted by CheatinChad:
I look forward to working with the people here and hopefully helping out some of you if you have issues.

Thank you again

Chad Cheatham
OH BOY do we have issues...... Jules? [Linked Image from webpages.charter.net]

Originally posted by PhoneSol:

hmmmm I believe this is the 546 time that John correctly handled an ESI service request online!
Hmmm, I don't think the check for the online tech support is going to me. :rofl:

It's uhhhhh... in the mail, John! [Linked Image from img236.exs.cx]

You did not get it di you JIM

Hey Chad, your not part of that Law Firm, "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe" are you? smile
just kidding.

Hey Mark good to see you. I finally passed the S-class writen test today. I am up loading my system part of the test in the morning.

Just an update on this post I got a call from Chad today and all is well on his situation. He said to pass on a big thanks to all who replyed to this thread.

OP Offline
Originally posted by Mark K.:
Hey Chad, your not part of that Law Firm, "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe" are you? smile
just kidding.
If I was I'd have alot more money than I do smile Where'd you see that? I remember a three stooges episode with that on the door of a law firm.

If they are no longer in buisness, this could be a very good oppertunity for you to become an or THE ESI dealer in that area. And with any luck you may have access to an instant customer base from the previous company. [/qb]
I may consider this in the future. I'll contact ESI at some point and see how things are in this area.

Thanks again for the help gentleman.

Phoneman: I'm sending you a PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,730 Shoretel
189,780 CTX100 install
187,934 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 147 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024