web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#464173 03/29/08 03:02 AM
It should be fine being separate networks because the IVC card would be on a phone network and the NSP would be on the data network, so he could use VIP. However if your running 2 networks a move of an extension is most likely going to involve moving a patch cord, so why not do digital phones on a patch panel?

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#464174 03/29/08 03:47 AM
I know that I am going to take some heat from people on this board about my next paragraphs, but from what I believe we are seeing, it is the truth.

I do not know the ESI product at all, but from what I have read it seems to be a good system. It is my opinion that our industry is moving quickly to being IP dominated with digital going the way of the analog system. Sure the digital systems work great and will be around for a long time to come, but ALL of the major manufacturers are moving very quickly to being all IP systems with a very limited digital system line, if at all. I know that there are many people that would agree with me.

It is my opinion that if one is upgrading at this point one should at least look at an all IP system from a good manufacturer, at a good system that is proven to work well. We are at the tipping point where the customer is seeing the same thing, they are seeing that technology is moving towards IP, even if there is no clear reason over digital to use it to the desktop. 5 years maximum and we will have very few digital systems being marketed by major manufacturers. If I were a customer I would be looking at an all IP system, I frankly would not be thinking about a digital system.

Steve

#464175 03/29/08 06:06 AM
with all due respect to tampasteve, I'd have to disagree. The statement that ALL of the major manufacturers are moving very quickly to being all IP systems is inaccurate. Look across almost any product line of Avaya, Toshiba, NEC, Samsung, ESI, Nortel, Vertical, etc, etc, and you will find that they ARE in fact offering IP products, but most offer systems that are "converged" or "hybrids" as they are called where the stations and trunking can be traditional or of the VoIP variety. The only companies that are putting all of their eggs in the IP basket are the startups that are counting on customer recognition of the VoIP acronym without really knowing what it will do for them.

It's similar to the automobile market, each manufacturer is offering a hybrid because of the hype behind "green" vehicles and obviously the fuel issues, but are they offering ONLY hybrids? Not in our lifetime!

Few digital systems will be on the market in 5 years? I doubt that, although it may happen, but the digital system will live on due to the legacy equipment saturating the market, and that there still isn't a good argument that is reasonable as to why IP is any better than digital.

I definitely would be looking for a system and a manufacturer that has a strong digital and VoIP presence, but to limit my purchase to IP? Like Hertz says, not exactly!

Taking your stance, if you or your company is selling your customers anything else beside pure IP based phone systems, you are doing them a disservice and scamming them out of their money, right?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
#464176 03/29/08 08:27 AM
The reference to "The Future" comes up regularly in the IP vs. Digital conversation. Since I know very little about Orions business I am certainly open to be corrected but I am going to speculate on what the future is in Orion's business.

20 years from now one of those 85 minions working a 9-5 shift in a cubicle is going to need the old reliable business tool, the telephone, to take calls and make calls just like minions always have. Right there, on the spot, in the workplace. The difference between an IP phone and a Digital phone in that application is ZERO.

There is definitely a good business application for IP phones such as a business outgrowing its current location. You can establish a second location and seamlessly connect back to the original location using IP. That is a financially feasible thing to implement IP into that takes on the scrutiny of logic.

Previously there was a mention of space limitations incurred with digital that would be eliminated with the use of IP. Again I can only speculate due to limited amount of knowledge regarding the actual location but I think you could free up a lot of space by doing away with all the unnecessary patch panels and associated wire management and let the phone guy put in a few 66 blocks. Spend a hundred bucks on a punch tool and a 1000' roll of jumper wire instead of around 10K on licensing fees for the IP phones. Take the $9,900 in savings and invest it in headsets or something useful.

Now as far as manufacturers not producing Digital equipment 5 years from now. I heard that 10 years ago. Manufacturers will manufacture anything there is a demand for. Mary Jane in cubicle 37 is going to need a phone and there will be management that scrutinize their budgets to trim waste and get her a phone so she can sell whatever it is there are selling. People like me will still be out there making it possible with cost efficient equipment that has a proven history.

#464177 03/30/08 12:57 AM
Originally posted by PhoneSol:
[QB] with all due respect to tampasteve, I'd have to disagree. The statement that ALL of the major manufacturers are moving very quickly to being all IP systems is inaccurate. Look across almost any product line of Avaya, Toshiba, NEC, Samsung, ESI, Nortel, Vertical, etc, etc, and you will find that they ARE in fact offering IP products, but most offer systems that are "converged" or "hybrids" as they are called where the stations and trunking can be traditional or of the VoIP variety. The only companies that are putting all of their eggs in the IP basket are the startups that are counting on customer recognition of the VoIP acronym without really knowing what it will do for them.
I must also respectivly disagree. While it is very true that some manufacturers are coming out with digital systems that can do IP (ex, the Vertical SBX 120) nearly all of them have made a very important shift in the market over the last 2 years. 2 years ago the market was mostly pure IP, pure digital, or hybrid digital/IP. Recently with most new product offerings it has changed to pure IP, hybrid digital/IP, or hybrid IP/digital. The last one is the most important. Most manufacturers have switched to making IP system that can do digital, not the other way around like it was in the past. Examples include the Vertical Wave, the Nortel BCM series to an extent, Siemens HiPath systems, Avaya IP office, Tadiran Coral Sea and IPx Office, or more to the point, the takeover of a large and growing percentage of the market by pure IP systems such as Cisco, Shoretel, Allworx, Avaya 1X Quick edition.

Few digital systems will be on the market in 5 years? I doubt that, although it may happen, but the digital system will live on due to the legacy equipment saturating the market, and that there still isn't a good argument that is reasonable as to why IP is any better than digital.
No, I said "few digital systems will be marketed," there is a big difference. Of course there will be digital systems installed around for years, I would not doubt that some of the ones we are putting in today will still be in 15 years from now, heck we just replaced one of our last 1A2 systems, and he has it installed in 1974. But I do firmly believe that few of the major manufacturers will activly be marketing, or activly trying to sell digital systems. There will still be IP/digital hybrid systems that allow people to keep their lagacy phones, but that is not the same as activly marketing a hybrid digital system that can do IP too.

Taking your stance, if you or your company is selling your customers anything else beside pure IP based phone systems, you are doing them a disservice and scamming them out of their money, right?
Absolutley not. We are still at the point where price can make a large difference to the smaller customer, and to the larger customer too. I can tell you with 100% honesty that every job that is quoted receives a hybrid quote and a pure IP system quote. Different people choose diferent systems depending on their desires and a lot of times the price, currently the IP system is a bit more, but the prices are dropping where it is going to be very close soon. Different situations require different quotes. Our customers also see the value of working with a business that has been around for over 20 years.

Steve

#464178 03/30/08 01:05 AM
Look guys, I am not trying to get into an arguement, all I am saying really is that the market is moving quickly to being IP dominated, or so it would appear. Maybe IP will go away, and maybe it will not. 15 years ago there was still a lot of analog equipment out there, and one could make the same arguement about it compared to digital. Now it is the IP systems that are taking over, be they pure IP or hybrid IP/digital; if one does not adapt to this market one will loose market share to the people that have adapted. That is all I really mean to point out.

Steve

#464179 03/30/08 04:23 PM
You made some good points steve, I'm not trying to bust chops either :toast:

I'm still not sure that "the market is moving quickly to being IP dominated" and no, I don't think that IP will go away, it may very well be the platform of the future but I'm not dropping everything we've done over the last 10 years (sorry we've only been in business for 10 not 20!?!) to shovel IP solutions down everyone's gullet!

Like you said we all must adapt or loose market share, we've lost potential clients because they were in the market for hosted VoIP solutions that we do not care to sell, and again we sell alot of systems month after month where I offer or ask about potential VoIP features and the customer looks at you like your speaking some unknown language.

So until the VoIP price is right and better yet, there is an overwhelming reason to offer only IP solutions, we'll stay successful doing what we've always done; quality systems at a fair price by a provider that you can trust.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
#464180 03/30/08 11:37 PM
quality systems at a fair price by a provider that you can trust. [/QB]
Hey, that is all people really do need! :thumb:

Steve

#464181 03/31/08 05:31 AM
Just my not really worth two cents.

I have done analog systems, electronic, key, PBX, hybrid key/pbx, IP, hybrid IP/digital, etc., etc., etc.

Change is the only constant!

The market is currently not dominated by IP, or even digital.

When you look at the most implemented, and in use system you are looking the Avay/ATT/???Partner system last time I did research. If you look at the second most, it is probably another manufacturers system of the same type as the partner system. I see 15 year old partners in janitor wash rooms next to the mop sink, and the water heater with a musty dusty smell as soon as you open the door. They have been there for 15 years, and will probably be there another 5, which is true for proably most of the type(Partner system type including their competitors) they have about a 15 year life span. Until half of these systems are replaced there is no IP domination of the market, and will not be.
Even with the marketing focus on IP it will take a decade before half the phone systems in the field will even begin to approach being hybrid, let alone full IP. Even consdiering that most PBX's installed in the last 5 years are hybrids as they allow some, or full IP functionality.

Now is marketing dominated by hybrids, yes it is, but that is not the same as the market sector being hybrid.

For the end user who posted.

If you are not going to converge your data, and voice (Share cable runs, swithches, and do VLANS). Then you are missing the biggest savings available to you in regard to a converged telephony platform. That savings is that you no longer need to have any internal voice cabling infrastructure of any kind.

With a hybrid system which is what almost all systems are since they almost all offer an analog station port they are a hybrid, not full IP you can use the same network cable for station ports of any kind. That goes for analog station(fax), digital (re-use your exisitng phones in most cases saving money), IP hard phones, IP soft phones, Convergerged IP hard phones(use same network cable/switch/switch port as the PC per station), Converged IP soft phones(uses same same cable/switch/switch port as the PC per station). While the hybrids(since there are no full IP systems, correct me please) can share the same cable in a converged network (saving wiring infrastructure costs), non-converged networks can not share the same cable thus not saving any wiring infrastructure costs, and increasing the number of data switches required to service the voice, and data. Digital phones reduce the number of data switch ports require by the number of digital phones used, and can translate to less data switches. Digital phones also do not then require VLANS, or VLAN security, VLAN foirewalling, etc. to maintain security on your data network due to the vulnerability inherant in VLANS, and IP phones accessing your network. You do have to make sure that you have security for your VOIP whether it is converged or not, and if nto encrypted can be very insecure within the network.

Look up voip hopper, or cane, and able, of other applications that can capture VOIP packets, and record them in WAV format. If you do not have acounted for VOIP security then go digital on a hybrid system, as it does not require these things. You can always do VOIP trunking for site to site P2P, and VOIP exts off site(VPN security).

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!
#464182 03/31/08 05:44 AM
tampa,
I respect your opinion, but I also have my own. Please do not consider mine being different from yours as being confrontational, as this is a marketplace of ideas, not a battleground. I would however like to see your take on the items I raised, and discussion.

I do want to let you know. I have over the last 4 years made most of my living off of the Avaya IP Office platform which is a very flexible one. It is full analog, full digital, and full IP. It has analog stations, and trunks. It has digital stations, and trunks. It has IP stations, and trunks. It has IP hardphones with built in VPN software. So I am in no way a NO IP koolaid drinker, as IPOffice is my area of expertise. I just know that IP is a long way from being half the implemented handsets, and will be a decade before it is.

Most hybrids are doing digital for the most part when it comes to staions right at this moment.

I can not recommend any technology platform, only technicians!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  5years&counting, nonameyet 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,805
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,060 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
4 members (PhoneGuy827, justbill, Ruben, Toner), 182 guests, and 430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024