web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
One dealer was complaining that the IP Office took around a hour and a half to patch and upgrade. Does the dealer take that charge in the shorts? Does the customer pay?
Well first of all... if it takes someone that long to do an upgrade, they are doing something wrong. If the dealer is installing a patch for a bug found, then I would say the dealer should have tested more, researched the known caveats, or chalked it up to the cost of doing business and not charged the customer.

If the customer is requesting an upgrade to a newer version for additional features, then that is more than fair to charge the customer.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
OP Offline
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
I think that there's some confusion here regarding the difference between licenses and upgrades. When I refer to licenses, I'm regarding to "right to use" fees that must be paid for the right to use the system's operating software for a fixed term.

Upgrades, keys or codes are purchased on an as-needed basis for a one-time fee. The "codes" mentioned are simply upgrades, meaning that the features are there, but they just need to be unlocked (and paid for) in order to use them. That makes perfect sense and there's little chance that anyone would argue that point.

The bottom line is that there ARE many VOIP applications that require software subscriptions. One manufacturer even touts this as being a "guaranteed revenue producing tool" for their dealers.

I believe that we have reached the point of "thou dost protest too much". Licensing fees are real.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Licensing fee's are real, and are the biggest scam in the software industry. It's like a car manufacturer selling an extended warranty, they are considered free money.

Maybe sometime this weekend i'll sit down with some nice green tea and relax and formulate a nice ed-style 1000-word post to add to why it's such a scam and furthermore why it still exists.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Anyone remember Circuit City's DIVX experiment?

https://hometheater.about.com/library/weekly/aa062199.htm

I Love FEATURE 00
Right to use has been in the Definity/Communication Manager world forever. It stinks!!! 1/2 of the cost of a new PBX is right to use. Thankfully the RTU costs are only a one time fee.

To make matters worse, with CM4.0 and greater Avaya is making you sign a 3 year maintenance assist contract.

[Linked Image from phototiki.com]
Originally posted by Carl Navarro:
Today I did my dog and pony show at a customer. This is the one I have been talking in the Installer area with the outgrown Partner.
I got the pleasure of coming in last because I'm the incumbent. Amazing. I didn't get to see the names of the bidders yet, but they propose to do a hosted solution. If you call from your desk to the desk next to you, you go to someplace in NY to set the path on the ethernet and come back to your neighbor. Sip city, I guess.

This is a 9 year old company. I took over about 5 years ago because I'm about 5 miles from their front door and the other vendor was 100 miles away. I have seen them grow from 4 lines and 18 phones to the present 6x40 and the VM to 40 mailboxes. (two building expansions).

So as I pitch my Panasonic TDA, I answered all their needs in terms of paging, AA with English and Japanese prompts, and timed forwarding to external cell phones, future growth to 160 ports, and a generous trade in of the Partner hardware, they keep asking "how much a month for maintenance and renewal?" "How much to port our lines to alternative carriers" Huh?
I give them a blank look. Gee, Mr. Customer. YOU OWN EVERYTHING! The lines are converted to PRI as part of the service, not VoIP, not hosted phones. You might be charged T&M for software upgrades and MAC work like you have in the past, but there are no other charges or fees.

Wish I could see the proposals...and I probably will get to do that in December or January :-)

Carl
you relize that even panasonic is moving in that direction if you want to add 16 sip trunks to the
tde in the virtual trunk card slot it will have a
activation fee

There is a difference between licensing to add features than licensing just to continue using the features you already bought......

ED, I hate it, but the senerio you explaned has happenes to us alot..

Its a no win situation you have to somehow convince the customer that the IT guy they hired and trust to handle this stuff, is wrong!!!

its actually refreshing when you have an IT guy that when you mention voip says "why would I want voice slowing down my network, I have enough to worry about"

PBX Battery backup systems

www.telcom1.net
As I mentioned in another post, at the company I work for software assurance/maintenance fees are not unexpected. We've paid them for our Microsoft software, our mainframe environment, and on other applications. I can't speak for a mom-and-pop type company, but for a mid-size company like us this is just considered a part of doing business. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, just that I don't see any of our upper management considering it as unusual for phone system licensing to work this way as well.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Just out of curiousity, other then the one-time Right to Use fee's for microsoft licensing (Server and CAL's), what maintenance fee's do you pay them?

I am not aware of any licensing scheme that microsoft has with recurring right to use, just one-time up-front licensing.

Software Assurance (SA) for all server and application software. That software assurance lasts 2-3 years depending on your licensing level. After that, renewal of software assurance is required in order to receive updated versions of the software. Same is true for our Citrix software, Lotus Domino, Antivirus, etc. Each vendor might call it something different, but it's all really the same.

Some items I'll purchase without the SA if I don't think that I'll be upgrading in the near future. I did that with our Microsoft Office software as we've been using Office 2000 for 5+ years. Now if I want to upgrade to Office 2007, I'll need to purchase all new licenses for that.

It's really just a numbers game. If, for example, the software assurance cost runs 33% of the cost of new licenses for a two-year term, then it makes sense if you plan to upgrade to a newer version within 4-5 years.

Of course, with some software you really are forced to keep paying the renewal fees. With our anti-spam software, for example, we may not get the updates to keep our inboxes largely spam-free without paying the renewal fees (annually in the case of that vendor). Of course we've blocked over 11 million spam messages in the last 2 years, so that cost is certainly justified.

Sometimes you carpe diem, sometimes your diem gets carped.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 106 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024