Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#473395 05/20/11 09:29 AM
Originally posted by JBRAM:
most of these locations only have a $50 to $100 "residential" broadband connection being ran by a $75 router and switch--these locations need some serious upgrading to their network before IP is an option.
And therein lies the issue with most of the hosted companies operating over the internet (specifically selling mostly over the internet). They outright do not care what you have, or they gloss over the bandwidth and LAN requirements. Generally it is "up to the user" to find out if they have the required LAN and bandwidth and the user either does not know so ignores it, or thinks "well it will be OK anyway". It is the responsible company that installs a solid product on a solid network. That and most of the small companies offering hosted service do not have the man power or knowledge to properly troubleshoot real issues that are not simple fixes.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a hosted system itself, it is the quality of the install and the company supplying the service. But, isn't that the case with all telephony?

Steve

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#473396 05/20/11 04:59 PM
The real problem is some companies (customers) throwing these "buzz" words around and they don't have the first clue about VoIP. They think since they have a broadband connection it will be sufficient for whatever they want to do with it. They will say well "we are paying for a 20/2 or 50/5 connection I should be able to anything." They do not want to understand the difference between a shared (cable modem/dsl) and a dedicated connection. We are actually the ISP as well. We give our customers our preferred option for Hosted IP and a secondary option. Of course the preferred option is usually more expensive b/c it involves a dedicated circuit. They can't (or don't want to) realize this. This is the problem that is faced. For the most part in my market 95% of our customers are not ready for VoIP, but 40-50% think they need it. When asked what they hope to gain they just kind of sit there with a lost look on their face. But none the less this is the way this industry is moving. So we might as well accept it.

#473397 05/20/11 05:50 PM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Well we can always hope that providers (especially CLECS) will do a better job with voip than they have with digital circuits, pots and ground start trunks.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
#473398 05/22/11 01:31 AM
VoIP is a pretty well accepted solution, SIP has taken the world by storm and the UC push now has taken the front page on communications forums worldwide. The push is based upon communicate anywhere, with anything at anytime and that is where the architecture shift is truly based. The fact of the matter is that there will be legacy telephony around for a long time but what customers and consultants are asking for is IP based communications as a service not as nuts and bolts. I am a phone guy going back a while though probably not as far as some of you. I realized a long time ago that things were changing and embraced it. I personally have seen a push in just the past 5 years from about 20% VoIP sales to now over 80% of sales are pure VoIP. Softswitch architecture is the future, embrace it or get left behind. A simple look at margin declines can convince you pretty easily that the days of hardware based systems paying the bills are short lived. That is my $02.

ShoreTel, Inter-Tel, Mitel, NEC, Zeacom, Cisco, Digium, Adtran Certified
http://www.voipnetworkengineering.blogspot.com
#473399 06/27/11 02:34 PM
>>MooreTel
so true.
I have seen what they do up up close. they have no craft.

RMR
#473400 06/27/11 11:08 PM
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Moderator-ESI, Shoretel
Hosted solutions are garbage and not the best option for anyone .......... just like Centrex was / is a horrible solution.

Buy your own, equipment, shop for the best deal on your dial tone and you will be WAY AHEAD.

#473401 06/28/11 04:02 AM
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
One of biggest arguments against voip is the cost of upgrading wiring to use it. Well I recently discovered a new product made by Phybridge. It will allow the deployment of ip phones over existing cat 3 using one pair. It will allow a distance of 1200 feet from switch to phone as well.
You install the voip "Uniphyer" voip enabler between the data switch the ip system is connected to and your cat 3 IDF using a standard amped 25 pair cable. Then you crossconnect as you normally would either from a 66 or 110 block. At the station end you plug the ip phone into a PhyAdapter (a buscuit jack) which converts the one pair usoc back to ethernet and plug the adapter into the wall jack. No power supply is needed becasue POE is also provided on the one pair from the UniPhyer.

You centrally converge with the customer's data network for access to other sites.
The Phybridge provides POE, QOS and a dedicated path for voice with no interference with the data side.

This system is designed to deploy voip phones. It is not designed to run normal office data applications. The bandwidth per port is 175k down and 2500k up. This is fine for one call per port but is not enough for web browsing.

Here is their link

https://www.phybridge.com/uniphyer-ip-phones.aspx

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,700 Shoretel
189,731 CTX100 install
187,909 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Toner), 140 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024