Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#474258 05/01/07 05:36 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Chad has the right angle of approach to this situation.

Unless the telco has a very creative legal team, it's not likely that doing this would result in a Federal offense being charged. They would have to pull wiretapping out of their behinds and no prosecutor would waste their time chasing that.

LEC's operate under state-mandated rules. Any legal case other than a civil case for damage would be under the appropriate state's rules and regulations. Sometimes, they are worse than a charge by the Feds.

Regardless, I wouldn't touch that pedestal with a ten foot pole. I won't even put the cover back on one that has fallen off (because their employee didn't return it properly). I just call the telco's repair service. Over and over and over again. The cover goes back on, but it takes about 30 days before my "request" manages to trickle down to the local plant supervisor.

I saw one wide-open and the Verizon repair clerk would not take my request without a phone number to associate with my call. I had to think about every business or residence downstream from that open ped and just pick out one of their numbers to get the order accepted. I should have not even bothered to help them out.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#474259 05/02/07 01:41 AM
This is off the subject of the original post but sometimes I need to vent. I hope that mgere has decided that touching the pedestal is a very bad idea for.

Ed’s right. The area where I live is mostly buried plant. I constantly see pedestals with missing covers. It’s a real shame. Used to be a splicer had a turf. He took pride in his area and he took care of it. The repair clerk probably had no idea the amount of problems that missing lid can cause.

It is a common practice to wrap a damaged pedestal in black plastic until it can be properly repaired. In one Verizon area labels were purchased to be placed on the damaged pedestal. The label said, “Seen and Reported”. It’s a real shame that a damaged terminal had to stay wrapped in plastic so long that they had to mark them so they wouldn’t be reported again. Sometimes the label had to be replaced due to age.

Gary
#474260 05/02/07 02:57 AM
mgere Offline OP
OP Offline
Thats what I wanted to hear, I had a bad feeling about it and knew that if someone wanted to make a major deal about it they could. The ped is in a small sub-division and is mounted partially in the driveway of a new house under construction. Telco said they would move it, but they would charge 8K to move it, so the contractor called me and asked if I would move it and everyone would play dumb. It is only two 25 pair cables and I know I could move it, but I'm worried about the splice holding up under ground and if there was a problem they would come after me.
Your info makes it a lot easier to say no, thanks.

#474261 05/02/07 05:36 AM
If it is in the middle of a new driveway, I'd try to get hold of an engineer and ask whether he wanted to move it while it is still in the dirt, or wait until after the cement is poured around it.

I agree with the others - wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

#474262 05/02/07 10:46 AM
Moving a LEC's pedestal is not recommended. The "Don't touch with 10ft pole" is perfect analogy.

I do have 2 questions. 1 How did the contractor irritate the LEC to the point of the 8K quote and how much did the contractor offer you to violate someone else's property?

#474263 05/02/07 11:00 AM
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
and why doesn't the contractor reroute the driveway ?

I assume the ped was there long before he started .

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
#474264 05/02/07 11:36 AM
The ped is in a small sub-division and is mounted partially in the driveway of a new house under construction.

In subdivisions usually the telco and poco are pretty good at locating peds and transformers on the property lines so something like this can be avoided. The lots are defined and roads laid out long before the houses are built.

So what's happening here? Does it look like the lot lines have been changed or this builder could have avoided the pedestal by moving the driveway? Is the builder the developer or did the developer just create the subdivision with roads and utilities and sell the lots where the owners have their own builders?

I'm asking because the builder or owner may have a beef with the subdivision developer over this if it could be shown that they screwed up by allowing the telco to place the ped where they did.

At the least if the ped is not located with the other utilities the telco screwed up.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#474265 05/02/07 02:00 PM
Had a job installing new system in Dover, Del. last week. The pedestal was behind building, 14" below grade with large pile of dirt around it where Verizon had dug down to get cover off and install 10 lines for my client.The lower half of interior panel was green and rusted from water seepage. The cover would not fit on properly. The landlord or landscaper must have backfilled way higher than orginally planned.I was thinking that my foldup army shovel would have been handy.

#474266 05/02/07 02:27 PM
I thought that the $8K price tag to relocate the pedestal was high until I talked to a pal of mine today who is a construction foreman.

He's supervising the construction of a new strip-mall shopping center that resulted in major grade changes. They caused an existing 2,700 pair buried cable being about ten feet in the air. Verizon charged the developer almost $90,000.00 to relocate about 1/4 mile of it along the frontage of the mall's property. Much of this cost was due to the fact that they had to half-tap it during the cut and much was done overnight on overtime.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#474267 05/03/07 04:05 AM
mgere Offline OP
OP Offline
I was going to charge the developer $1,600 to move it. If think telco screwed up because the other houses that were built have all three services right next to each other. In this case the electrical ped its 20' from the drive way and the telco and cable ped's are both next to the driveway. I think the cable Co.saw the telco ped and followed suit. The cable Co. is going to move their stuff free of charge. I called the contractor yesterday and told him that I wasn't going to move it and explained all the legal problems that could and probably would arise from me moving it or anyone else. He agreed and is going to bite the bullet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,804
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 24
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy, Professor Shadow, Carl Navarro), 168 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024