web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
No, I'm not joking.. Hurricane season is just around the corner, and I'm nearing completion of my french drain project behind my house. However, I'm at the dreaded stage where I need to "bore" a six inch wide hole thru an eighteen inch thick masonry brick retaining wall that bisects my backyard. Since my entire backyard is elevated and surrounded by masonry retaining walls, it's next to impossible to get any heavy machinery back there (boy, a ditchwitch would have been awesome!) I need to accomplish this approximately three feet below ground level. I've dug plenty of clearance around where I need to penetrate the wall. Can anyone share any similar experiences, or offer any advice and guidance to me? I greatfully and sincerely appreciate any suggestions.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Wow Mike, they really sunk that wall into the ground good at 3 feet. eek

Is the wall solid brick all 18 inches or does it have a concrete filler with brick facade? I have cored 18' poured walls before with an industrial hammer drill and diamond tip coring bits. But, that was only a 3 inch diameter hole. I took a while to get through the wall. The drill got too hot several times, and we had to wait for it to cool down before we could resume drilling again. :bang:

They may make a large enough coring bit for what you need it for.

If not, it looks like hammer and concrete chisel is in your future. Or, you could drill a series of smaller holes and honeycomb it. Then bust it out with a hammer and chisel. Either way, you get to use a hammer and chisel laugh

You can always bust it out as big as you want it, put in the pipe, then fill in around it with the quikrete concrete mix from Home Depot.

Goodluck smile

Richard
AVAYA-NORTEL-SAMSUNG-PANASONIC-MITEL
www.acceleratedtelecom.com
Online Content
I know they make 5 inch masonary bits for Hammer drills, maybe you could rent one. You'd need the bit and drill as it would require a heavy duty drill. I wouldn't be surprise if they make larger bits also. (coring bit) thanks Richard I couldn't remember what they are called.

Retired phone dude
Maybe you could rent one of these from one of our sparkie buddies!

https://www.toolsdir.com/shopping/nprd.asp?ID=55

or here is you 6 X 18 bit

https://www.bamanufacturing.com/rc_series.html

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Mike:

6" is going to be tough. There are concrete coring companies that can do this, but it's going to be expensive. If I were faced with such a situation, I would probably drill a circle of holes with a normal-sized bit in a hammer drill, "connect the dots", then knock out the remaining brick from either side with a hammer and chisel.

Glad it's you and not me. That's a project to say the least.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
OP Offline
Thank you for your quick responses, Rich, Bill, breed, and Ed. How would I describe this wall..Sorry, I'm not a brickmason. smile The wall "retains" a 2.5 to 3 foot high "step" in the ground level. The "high" side of the wall is lined with an 8" thick inner row of "mortor filled" cinderblock. This cinderblock lining is "mortered" up to an 8" thick red brick wall for appearance facing to the lower side of the yard. I've used a masonry miter saw to cut pavers before, but never drilled thru a brick wall. I think it's too thick for the honeycomb approach. I think what I really need is a cannon, and a clear field of fire. I'm thinking seriously about something to the affect of breed's suggestion..

It's called a core drill and it is used with a core drilling rig that attaches to the wall with anchors. You really don't want to consider purchase, we are talking big bucks. Either rent or have a contractor handle it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I'll probably go with a contractor on this one. I'll take a "during" pic of this getting done and post it here, just in case someone ever runs into a situation like this. Thanks everyone for the suggestions and guidance.

Core drilling is not that hard,Rent a core drilling machine and bit from a rental yard ,it will take minutes, If you have allready dug the hole for access that is the hardest work,If the hole is deep enough you can brace the machine in the hole ,you need to rent one that will drill horizontal. core drilling is exspensive ,Most companies charge a minimum of $300 . They charge by the diameter tmes depth. I think you can rent a machine for $75 a day.

OP Offline
Thanks Gene. The 3 foot deep drain trench is dug all the way up to the High-ground side of the wall, so I can go in at or just below ground level from the low-ground side. I'll see what I can find around here. smile

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Mike, if you have a hammer drill, you may try what Rich & Ed suggested, before you spend the money on the core drill.

I would take a long 1/4-3/8" bit and drill through the wall so you'd have a reference point. Then I would make a few "honeycomb" holes around a couple of bricks. Then, take a hammer and chisel and start beating the crap out of it. Once I got a whole busted in the cinder block, I would repeat the process on the other side.

You can also use a masonary blade on a circular saw to cut around a few of the bricks. That would aid in their removal.

If you try it, the worse that can happen is you'll have a better start for the core drill. If it works, you've saved yourself some bucks.

Good luck and remember to wear saftey glasses!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,395 Shoretel
189,118 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (BobRobert), 96 guests, and 413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024