Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
OP Offline
Moderator-Nortel, Computers, General
When you need to do an OPX, what do you prefer do do & why?

What do you recommend to the client?

Dave

Scientists say that the universe is made up of Protons, Neutron & Electrons. They forgot "Morons".
Dave. (CTUB) Canadian Techs Use Bix!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Admin
Admin
Buried, because my feet are on the ground :-)

I prefer buried because we sell more. It's easier to work with than messengers, it can also be used in conduit, and it has a better chance of not being disturbed. Nothing pi$$es me off more than having to work in aerial cable in the winter where it always breaks vs. the summer when it's warm.

Aerial is still good for attaching to sides of buildings (as in just under the soffit).

Carl

Short version. It depends on what the environment calls for. Everything equal buried.

Retired phone dude
KLD Offline
Yep, I second and third the above. smile

Ken
---------
Seems like easier to protect buried service.

Although we put maximum protection on both kinds of services, i would lean to buried installation.

As Carl stated, aerial more likely to have maintenance issues. frown

Maintenance:

Mighty gussying wind.
Heck of a ice storm.
Electrode for receiving (RADIO MOSCOW) Lighting.
Heat, Sun, and Rain.
If a road crossing broken supports in time maybe.

-TJ-
I agree with buried--but have a quick source for proper underground splice gear----it's amazing how sharp impliments can find just one lil-ole cable.

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
BobComm makes an interesting point. Your cable in the air is at much lower risk to non-professionals messing with it if it's on telco poles. It's also much less likely to get damaged.

On the other hand, if it's buried, it's a LOT easier to service and maintain. Pedestals are cheap and easy ways to provide testing and maintenance access points. No need for bucket trucks or ladders in these environments.

You still have a MUCH higher exposure to damage caused by just about anyone with underground. NONE will admit responsibility. You need to invest in more expensive cable locating and fault locating equipment (it's pretty simple to see where the aerial cable fell down).

You are committing suicide if you maintain any underground wiring and you don't have the proper splicing tools and at least two of each buried splice closure that will be needed, 100 feet (minimum) of each type of cable you are supporting, and a few pedestals in stock. You can't rely upon wholesale suppliers for these emergencies.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
KLD Offline
The "Man" speaks of experience, I can see. help

True, each has it's drawbacks, but underground vs buried vs ariel, all things even, I still would go under the dirt, preferably the underground.

As one old-time splicer I used to work with used to say about buried, the mobile, rubber-mounted cable locator's (backhoe) will do it every-time.

Ken
---------
Admin
Admin
I Canada you have frozen ground just like we have in Maine I prefer aeriel because it is easier to service in the winter then digging through the snow and frozen ground. Anything buried just a foot or so in the ground is going to get moved around by frost plus the frost will move rocks that can break or even cut underground cables.

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
Originally posted by KLD:

As one old-time splicer I used to work with used to say about buried, the mobile, rubber-mounted cable locator's (backhoe) will do it every-time.
I use a clean cut, four inch chunk of 2400 pair as a 'paper-weight'. It was given to me by one of our splicers. It was at night, pouring down rain, and it's 'highly rumored' that the backhoe operator noticed the cable, looked at his watch, then proceeded to cut thru it. Most of our cables are below ground here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,736 Shoretel
189,799 CTX100 install
187,938 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 126 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024