Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#475005 10/13/10 03:35 AM
Siefer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello,

I recently bought land and had a home built on it. I called my Phone company to get phone and DSL put out there. They sent a tech and he told me this property had no line on it and that I would need to do it myself or hire someone to install a line to the house. They apparently don't do it. It is about 700 ft from the house to the box on the street. My question is how do I go about doing this? Can I run just a regulaur phone line underground to the junction box/local loop from the house, leaving the two ends sticking out of of the ground for the tech, one by the box the other by where they would install my NID?
Also I have called the local office and 800 number for info on what I need to do but no one can seem to give me any info.

If I can do this myself it will save a bunch of money FOR my car insurance. smile

Thank you for your time.

-Daniel

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#475006 10/13/10 04:47 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
You might want to check with the Public Utilities Commission. In most areas, the LEC is required to provide service to any proper address when service is requested. In this area, the only exception to this rule is if it is temporary service, like with a construction trailer. In those instances, they will only place their NID on a customer-provided pole at the corner of the property.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
#475007 10/13/10 05:54 AM
KLD Offline
Ed pretty well covered it for most places....but the state will be the final say!

If the answer is "unusual construction"....check with a local electrical supply house...they should have the correct underground telephone cabling for your area. Check with your local inspector for depth requirements.

Good luck....

Ken
---------
#475008 10/13/10 05:55 AM
Siefer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
I found this page:
https://www.azcc.gov/divisions/utilities/telecom/rules.asp

I dont see anything under regulated companies with Qwest (My phone company).

#475009 10/13/10 05:56 AM
Siefer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you. I appreciate your help.

#475010 10/13/10 07:21 AM
It's been years since the telephone company ran buried wires on private property in NY State. Usually, the electrical contractor who installs your buried 220 Volt service will also bury a coax for TV/internet and a 6-pair 22-gauge filled (waterproof gel inside) telephone wire, in the same trench. That's a standard method in New York.

Since you are the first owner, you would know better than us whether those wires were installed. For an electrical contractor NOT to have put them in would be very unusual (and silly). I would call the original electrician back and ask him what he installed. What was spec'd by the architect or general contractor? Didn't they realize you might want to call someone while you were watching the Super Bowl?

At a distance of 700 feet, your house is at the limits, generally, for 220 Volt buried service, and you may have a 13,200 Volt step-down transformer near your house. In that case, all bets are off, as the EC might have only run 220 V wires to that transformer, and a primary to the street. In that case, there will be hardly a chance that any low-voltage services were run, unless someone in charge of the construction knew what they were doing and didn't cheat you.

Do you have TV service in the house? There's always Vonage® telephone service until you get the answers.

In New York State, since the LEC is in bed with the PSC, Verizon claims that they will not/cannot/aren't allowed to/aren't obligated to do any buried work on private property.

If you yell loudly enough, you may get results, but I'd check with the EC first. To trench a wire in this state, it would cost about two bucks a foot, plus the wire. Watch out, if you decide to do it, that you don't hit the electric wires.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

#475011 10/13/10 08:16 PM
Slightly different here in Manitoba regarding who does what.

The electricial utility and not the E/C is currently reponsable to run all the lines(incl. tel and cable) to the foundation wall in a common trench if new residential construction.

They are usually coiled in a flat plywood case at the lot line during utility rough in of the development as the foundations are not in yet.

A different crew digs the box up and trenches to the foundation wall once the house is ready for the utility stub up.

Our telco (MTS) even does repairs up to the interface of u/g lines.

#475012 10/13/10 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Siefer1:
I found this page:
https://www.azcc.gov/divisions/utilities/telecom/rules.asp

I dont see anything under regulated companies with Qwest (My phone company).
On that link you provided under section R14-2-506. Construction Agreements I see this;

2. Upon request by an applicant for service, the utility shall provide, without charge, a preliminary sketch and rough estimates of the cost of installation to be paid by said applicant

#475013 10/15/10 04:17 AM
Interesting...out here both at&t and the cable company run the lines from their pedestals and bury them to the house.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
#475014 10/16/10 03:31 PM
Siefer1 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, so after running to Home Depot, Lowes and multiple electric stores I am being told multiple times that my phone company (Qwest) is supposed to provide the Line. After about my 6th call to customer service and being told I had to do everything myself I finally talked to someone who agreed with me and gave me the direct number to there engineering dept. So sadly it is the weekend and I need to wait until Monday. For now me and my friend are still shoveling out another 450 more feet of trench. Dam in Arizona is it hot.
I will keep you posted as to what happens next.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,512 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 125 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024