Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#477588 02/10/09 05:22 AM
Moderator-Allworx, Nisuko-Tie, Vodavi
OP Offline
Why would a CLEC change DNS servers every so often. We have one of our VOIP systems set up with a Primary & a Secondary DNS—but every three weeks or so, the numbers are switched around by the carrier. Why would they do this?? Every time the carrier does this, we have to go there and reset our system. We know that we can put a small router in between the DSL modem and our system and then change the programming on the system and put it in Lan/Host mode---but we prefer not to do that. I would rather have the CLEC not fool with the DNS numbers!! Any logical reason for them to do this?? We have a vendor meet with them next week.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
I am just joining the conversation for an answer too. There wouldn't be any logical reason I could think of (but that's not my area either).

Good topic.

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
OP Offline
Well, I'll have to wait until next week to get some local answers. We may have a problem with our equipment. It seems that since there is no router or channel bank, the VOIP system goes a bit nuts when the buffer surpasses 2 gigs. All we can figure out now is that it tries to use either or both DNSs and it is overloaded so it just sort of "freezes". The phone system part is fine---but the internet goes down. We don't have all of the details yet, but are putting together bits & pieces. According to the manufacturer, we have to put in a router and set the system as Lan/Host. All of our other VOIP systems have a data circuit coming from a channel bank or the internet is separte from the phone system.

I'll keep everyone informed as to what we find out.

Moderator-Toshiba
Moderator-Toshiba
Does the buffer not auto clear or purge?

Does the internet only go down when the system is connected?

Could be an internal routing/switch issue that hogs the bandwidth, trying to get to the outside world. DoS of sorts?

- Tony
Ohio Data LLC
Phone systems, data networks, firewalls and servers in Central Ohio.
Some people aren't used to an environment where excellence is expected.
OP Offline
1. The buffer does not seem to be clearing or purging automatically. This appears to be a programming/software problem that the manufacturer is working on. They have indicated that the newest version may help...but I doubt it. Why would it fix it when the problem has not been addressed.

2. The internet only goes down when the system is connected to it Once the systems is reset, and the DNS server are right, then it works for about a month or so. With the previous LEC, there did not seem to be any problem---everything worked fine for about 6-7 months.

3. It does not appear, at this time, to be a switch.

The way it's going, perhaps this thread should be put in the "VOIP" system forum. It is being indicated that there may be an equipment problem.
This is the only system location that has a "straight through" ADSL circuit that we are using on the system. All others have either a channel bank or a router between the circuit and the phone system, and the circuits are all T-1s or PRIs.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Topic moved to the VoIP forum.

I Love FEATURE 00

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,397 Shoretel
189,127 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 116 guests, and 436 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024