Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
#477834 05/11/09 02:49 PM
mhoppes Offline OP
OP Offline
Bill,
I'm beginning to agree with you. I'm not saying the issue is underground, just that the person a few hundred feet from where it goes under it fine, and then the person a few hundred feet from where it comes up has hum, as do the rest of the people on the road. (Rural area, rest of the people = 3 before the line ends).

It may or may not parallel power, there are power lines running the same way, but I don't know where the phone company line goes after it goes under.

We'll see, I will buy a choke if I have to, but I'd rather they buy it since it seems the issue is with their lines. Guess I'm done here for now, I'll update this thread with the outcome. Thanks for all the input!

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#477835 05/12/09 12:41 AM
KLD Offline
I believe that Bill had the right idea....a broken bonding sheath will cause all kinds of troubles, from noise to not being able to LD call. There is a test unit that can test for that...and it only takes one lost bond/ground to allow the situation you describe.

Ken
---------
#477836 05/12/09 01:54 AM
mhoppes Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the input, everyone. One more comment, maybe it's completely irrelevant, but the audio on my analog line seems to be extremely muddy and missing the mid-range, when compared to other analog lines (at work), or my VoIP line (at home).

I did try removing the DSL filter, but the audio was still just as bad?

#477837 05/12/09 03:13 AM
Originally posted by mhoppes:
So can someone explain this? Tonight, getting antsy and wanting to put some of my electronics background to use, I wired up a 1:1 transformer and put a 600ohm resister in-line on the telco side. It seemed to work (e.g. passed audio, and telco didn't detect a short), however, I had a hum on the audio!

If the hum is being inducted in and is being caused by the AC on the line, shouldn't putting a 1:1 transformer in right before my phone produce a 'ground lift' and remove the hum?

Interestingly, if I remove the 600ohm resister, the telco detects a short, removes the dial-tone and then, if I remove my DSL filter I can hear the DSL... once it finally times out the line is crystal clear.
Hummmm you know enough to be dangerous don’t ya. Haha… One of the things I had to do when I came to the Telco side of the demarc was learning to think I bit differently than I had before with regards to electronics.

Here’s a couple of the finer points of a telephone service you missed on:

* On a Telco circuit the cable pair provides much of the circuit resistance. Touch the two wires together. We don’t care… It’s NOT a short. Just looks like an off-hook condition from this side. Completely dependant on loop length (and cable gauge) but there’s a few hundred ohms of resistance there in the pair.

* There is BOTH AC and DC current on a POTS line. The inductor of the primary side of your 1:1 transformer looks like “nothing” to the DC current. Current flows just like you’re “off-hook.”

* “Ground Lift” There’s a term I know as a guitar player. That sort of 60-cycle hum comes from grounds being at two different potentials for two different gain devises. (I.E. pre-amp & power amp on a different ground… Or active effect and pre/power-amp being on different grounds.) As mentioned before the “hum” you’re hearing is probably inducted on to the cable pairs. … Since I can tell you know what you’re talking about here in many regards, listen to the difference. The “60-cycle hum” from a powered audio circuit (Guitar amp, PA, etc.) is going to have a lot more harmonic frequencies in it. Induced power on a line is going to be a much flatter “hum.”

-----------------------
Bryan
LEC Provisioning Engineer
Cars -n- Guitars Racin' (retired racer Oct.'07)
#477838 05/12/09 03:18 AM
mhoppes Offline OP
OP Offline
@CNG - Yes you are right, an audio circuit in a sound board has a very bright hum, where as the hum in my line is a very dull hum.

#477839 05/12/09 03:22 AM
Thanks for the input, everyone. One more comment, maybe it's completely irrelevant, but the audio on my analog line seems to be extremely muddy and missing the mid-range, when compared to other analog lines (at work), or my VoIP line (at home).

I did try removing the DSL filter, but the audio was still just as bad?
Hey, it's only coming to you at 300-3000 Hz... Don’t go throwing a parametric eq on it or anything. eek

Reading more of your detective work on this… I really do think as point out a few times on this thread, there is a missing bond (ground) on the line. Probably at or near where the cable goes from over-head to buried.

-----------------------
Bryan
#477840 05/12/09 03:25 AM
mhoppes Offline OP
OP Offline
@CNG - The phone company claims they did grounding and bonding on the lines and all is in order. Now, let me get dangerous for a moment (going beyond what I know), should there be a ground on every telephone/electric pole?

#477841 05/12/09 03:32 AM
Short answer, No. On true AC induction the farther out you go the louder the hum.

Retired phone dude
#477842 05/12/09 04:06 AM
@CNG - The phone company claims they did grounding and bonding on the lines and all is in order. Now, let me get dangerous for a moment (going beyond what I know), should there be a ground on every telephone/electric pole?
Every pole no... Every drop (access point) yes.

-----------------------
Bryan
#477843 05/12/09 04:08 AM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Call the PUC using you humming line and you will probably start getting some action. In the end, the hum is NOT your resposibility to troubleshoot or repair. You pay somewhere between $30 and $100 a month for a good clean usable phone line and you are not getting your money's worth! (It has been awfully hard to not say "It hums because it doesn't know the words" smile ) John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  dexman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,298
Posts638,870
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,709 Shoretel
189,747 CTX100 install
187,917 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 27
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024