Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#524581 12/27/09 11:34 AM
OP Offline
Hi,

I am in the process of restoring an early 70's key set (1A2 rotory) in moss green. I have completely sanded it to 2000 grit, and am polishing the plastic with Novus. Everything has been done by hand as I do not really want a buffing wheel unit in my home until we move to a larger abode.

The handset looks perfect and the body is getting there.

Here is my problem...

Compared to the rest of the phone plastics, the dial is really grungy and discolored. The whole phone was a nasty brownish grey green, both from years of flourscent lighting and I am certain a fair amount of direct sunlight. I have returned the phone body to its original color, but the dial looks, well gross. I do not want to sand the dial, as the numbers will come off. I also do not want to get grit and plastic residue into the dial mechanism.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again for any help!

Joe

Real comms took 200lb teletypes, hand keys, sounders, operators and cranked phones!
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#524582 12/28/09 12:34 PM
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
Take the finger wheel off and clean the dial face with something like simple green. Then get a new finger wheel. Do a search for something like "phone parts" in the forum search engine, for suppliers of NOS and repro parts.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
#524583 12/28/09 03:07 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
The good news is that many of the dial plates have the numbers molded into them, meaning that the white numbers are actually white plastic. It is just an outer layer of green plastic. You'll need to check the back side of it to make sure before you get too brave with abrasives. If you luck out and have a dial of this vintage, your polishing will brighten the numbers as well.

As for the key buttons, finger wheel, handset parts, etc., I have plenty of that stuff. Just make up a list of what you need and send me a PM.

BTW: Are you familiar with the manner in which you remove the finger wheel itself from the dial?

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,735 Shoretel
189,798 CTX100 install
187,938 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 97 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024