web statisticsweb stats Business Phone Systems Tech Talk Forum - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#540604 11/30/12 12:33 AM
Admin
OP Offline
Admin
Today I needed to visit my Mitel site to look at TAFAS (217-14) it works, but.... the new owners cleaned up the boiler room and behind the mystery cabinet, look at this!
[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from public.carl.airpost.net]

They are probably going to be oriented wrong, but tilt your head to the left and you'll see it's a mystery crossbar system.

I didn't get who made it, I didn't see a power supply, but outside of that, it appears to be intact.

Carl

edited to make pictures viewable

Last edited by metelcom; 12/07/12 02:35 PM.
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

WOW!!

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
I hope you can get ahold of it, and possibly sell it to one of us collectors. It is definitely a crossbar exchange, but what is it? A PBX? From the looks of the condensors and resistors, it might be a Japanese switch. Is there more?

You can call me to discuss. 631 - 749 - 0100 or toll-free 866 - 749 - 0100 anytime.

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom; 11/30/12 08:09 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Admin
Admin
That looks remarkably like an old Hitachi X Bar I put in a hotel in the late 70s. The color code of the wires would be a dead giveaway.

[Linked Image]
I thought it was a Japanese board from the 70's. The model number NG 503 sort of comes to mind. There was a wheel on the corner of the relay rack and it would open up like a door.

Here is the learned opinion of our friend, Steph Kerman:

"Probably a Japanese 400-line class of PABX.

I cannot tell from the photos how many gates are in each cabinet. Cabinets can contain (IIRC) 3 gates, each in front of the other. It might have a 100 or 200 Ext capacity. More cabinets = more capacity.

In photo #1, I see two XB switch gates, a second one behind the first at the top. Usually there are 100 Exts per gate but there may be trunk switches as well so it could be just 100 Exts.

Below the XB switches I see 2½ plates @ 21 relays per plate of twin WK (similar to AK) relays. Probably 100 CO relays and so I surmise this system does not have L relays and therefore does not have line lockout.

The right end of the 3rd plate down seems to contain mostly 12 and some 24 contact "Connector" relays for associating the line group with a Marker.

Below that are plates containing 4 gold and 1 Robin's Egg blue reed relay digit register devices. Likely these are 3 Originating Registers.

Can't be sure what's at the bottom. At the right end are two Robin's Egg blue capacitors or retardation coils, 3 blue digit registers, 2 gold digit registers, to small square reed relays one above the other. Could be a Position Register for completing incoming calls from an attendant console.

In photo #2, I see at the top two plates of unidentifiables and a 584 panel below that with the location for the Cinch-Jones interrupter socket vacant. There are 12 board plugged in. My guess is that these are "anti-CDH" interface adapters, marking this as a pretty early installation.

There are 12 devices on the plates above so perhaps they are 1 per CO trunk but I don't recognize them. A close up photo of both sides would help.

Below that I see 2+4 plates with 4 blue capacitors and/or RET coils at the right end and two reeds. This type of reed was commonly used to detect incoming seizure, the "H" relay function in a WECo GS trunk. So I'd guess that these are 12 ckts (2 per plate) 2-way CO trunks ("BWT" = Bothway Trunk)

Not sure what the unit interposed between the top 2 and bottom 4 are. It has 6 capacitors and/or RETs and a dual width blue item that is probably a small REP coil similar to a 202A, then 2 digit registers. With a REP coil I'd be inclined to guess that it's a Tie Trunk but the digit registers don't make sense for that.

Below the 4 dual BWTs is a single 6-circuit plate that probably contains 6 CO OGTs.

Below that might be 6 IOTs (Junctors in 756A parlance).

Below that are 3 circuit plates with full size digit register packs equivalent to WECo 293 types. The Japanese rarely used those once they developed the much more compact form mentioned earlier. With only 2-digit storage capacity per circuit I don't have a good explanation for what they are for.

There must be a marker circuit and tone and interrupter in another gate behind this.

Note that both photos show a black metal plate oriented vertically at the bottom left. These are ID plates which would ID the mfr and model of the system.

Each relay unit has a metalized mylar adhesive ID label, usually on the lower horizontal surface at the left end of the bottom plate of the unit. Inventorying the markings on every one of these ID labels on all gates would allow us to determine exactly what this system consists of.

The lack of L relays on the line gate and lack of space for them suggests to me that it might be a Hitachi AX2SS from the early 70s. It might also be an OKI AC220. NEC NA4-09 systems usually had line lockout, therefore they had 100 pairs of L & CO relays mounted together in the line frame.

A careful inventorying and reporting of all ID markings will reveal all.

If it is an AX2SS or NA4-09 I have manuals. I don't think I have manuals for an AC220. The last candidate would be the Fujitsu FXB-304. I don't think I have manuals for that either."

Last edited by Arthur P. Bloom; 11/30/12 09:50 PM.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
That is exactly what I was going to say!

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Admin
OP Offline
Admin
Wow, just wow. I'll try to take a real camera and get extensive pix. AFAIK the box is mine for the taking. It was cut at the MDF and those cables are hanging there when the Mitel was installed. I gotta believe the SX-200 was installed in about 1986 or so, and that makes it probably a 1975-80 vintage XB system. The original property was called the Charter House in Perrysburg Ohio (3550 or 3555 Hanley Rd. Perrysburg OH 43551) when the Mitel was installed. It's still listed (like forever) as Howard Johnsons.

I won't be able to get to it until after 12/5.

Carl

Admin
Admin
Very nice post Arthur but I have to ask why isn't Steph K a member here?

Merritt

Business Telephones & Equipment + Commercial Audio/Video Products
Commercial Communications . . . Turner, Maine
If it was built after 1980 don't expect it to work right.
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
RIP Moderator-Mitel, Panasonic
C'mon, Merritt! HE's GOT A LIFE! smile

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,256
Posts638,657
Members49,756
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
210,764 Shoretel
187,581 CTX100 install
186,326 1a2 system
Newest Members
Rich F, LewisR, TDKs79, Buttinset, Housetech
49,756 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
dexman 16
Toner 12
TDKs79 7
pvj 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024