Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#556453 08/17/13 01:11 PM
OP Offline
Hello All,
I am new here and just purchased my first vintage phone. It is a Kellogg 1000. I am looking to purchase a new line cord with a modular plug end. It has (3) wires hooked to the inside of the phone(red,black,white). I can't seem to find this anywhere, I see some with 4 wires with the modern modular end, but none with 3. Any help would be appreciated.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Welcome, Mark!

The Red Bar (Model 1000) is a favorite among collectors.

Here is the diagram for you to follow:

https://www.omninerd.com/assets/content/1/2_article_26_full_figure12.jpg

It's from this website:

https://www.omninerd.com/articles/Rebuilding_a_Kellogg_1000_Series_Phone

Having too many wires in a cord is never a problem. You just use the ones you need and "insulate & store" (a term of art in telephony) the ones you don't need.

In the original mounting cord, the BLACK lead is Tip, the RED lead is Ring, and the WHITE lead is the Ground connection. This third lead is used if you are wiring the phone for party-line service. If you want it just to ring on a POTS line, (Plain Old Telephone Service) you move "Link 1" from the WHITE lead to the BLACK lead (terminal L2) inside the phone.

If you just want to use a modern "half-modular" cord, use the RED and GREEN mounting cord leads of the new cord, attached where the RED and BLACK original leads were attached. Put the ringer lead ("link 1") on L2 in the phone.

For historical purposes, most collectors try to equip their non-modular phones with original non-modular cords, and use a modular junction block (625-A block, or equivalent) to make the transition from the old cord to the wall. This preserves the historically-accurate cord, but allows connection to modern jacks.

First, screw the spade lugs of the mounting cord to the appropriate terminals in the 625 block. Then you plug one end of a short double-ended modular cord into the 625 jack, and the other end of the modular cord into the wall jack where the dial tone is.

Here is the definitive website for enthusiasts of the Kellogg phones.

https://www.strombergcarlsontelephone.com/kellogg/kellogg_main.htm

Some ATA's (cable-TV based or VoIP dial tone sources) might not accept rotary pulses from your phone, or might not have enough wattage to power the ringer. "Your mileage may vary."

If you are not familiar with any of the terms or procedures in my answer, email me privately. info (at) SIBTA (dot) com.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderated by  Touch Tone Tommy 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,815
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,396 Shoretel
189,121 CTX100 install
187,421 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 130 guests, and 422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024