Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#578234 10/01/14 01:39 AM
OP Offline
Today, for the most part, the answer to that question is: eBay, but back when it was a current product, how did a business go from "Hey, we need new phones!" to having a Merlin system installed?

Im assuming there was some calling of their account rep at the phone company, needs and wants were discussed, and a small army of Ma Bell's finest come out and install it, but were there nice glossy brochures, or cases with display models, or sales centers with systems built for demos and training? Or was the customer pretty much left to the mercies of the sales rep, who'd look around and decide for themselves what kind of phones to use?

The million dollar question is: what did all of this cost? It's weird that there's no shortage of information on putting together a Legend or Magix, but I've had no luck finding anything on how they were sold or leased.

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Moderator-Avaya, Polycom
Legends and Magixs are 2nd and 3 rd generation Merlin's.
What's now know as the Merlin Classic is the original.

I don't know when the Merlin was actually introduced but I'm pretty sure it was after 1984. It was a replacement for the 1A2 that not only was the first all electronic key system but it allowed plug and play "self installation" by the customer. (Note the first use of individual RJ jacks.) I have a 1995 AT&T Sourcebook Catalog that offers the "breadbox" and 820 KSUs as well as the modules. They could be ordered by calling your AT&T rep or have them do the installation.

As far as cost, you could lease or pay for it outright. The catalog doesn't give prices for the KSU oddly but it does give prices for the cards. For instance, a 4 line expansion card for an 820D is $825.00 and the 10 station card is $625.00. A BIS-10 is $359.00. I see that they have a Merlin Plus Systems training tape and workbook for $20. (Hear that Avaya!!)

Around the same time (the 90's) I remember AT&T Phone stores popping up. Never visited one but I believe they had Merlin and Partner working demos set up.

-Hal

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
According to John Shelton's "An Overview of Merlin Phone Systems" (2003) The Merlin II....which was the first "digital" iteration of the Merlin platform....was introduced by AT&T in 1989. The Merlin Legend....which replaced the II....was introduced by AT&T in 1991. In 1999, Lucent Technologies replaced the Merlin Legend with the Merlin Magix which was produced through April 1, 2006, when Avaya....due to declining sales....retired the platform.

With the introduction of the Merlin II....AT&T transitioned the Merlin platform from small applications to something more suitable for medium sized businesses (full T1 support and ISDN/PRI/BRI/OPX capability). At that point, the Partner platform supported the small business market.

Due to their complex nature, I doubt that the Merlin II and Legend were ever sold through AT&T Phone Stores. My feeling is that they had to be ordered through....as Hal said....an AT&T....and later....Lucent rep. Once the Business Partner system was established, you could contact one of them to order a system, such as the Magix.

I Love FEATURE 00
I don't think you could walk into an AT&T Phone Store and walk out with a Merlin or Partner system. As I said, they had demo systems but that's as far as it went. They had for sale all other AT&T branded phone equipment such as answering machines, single line phones, cordless phones and wiring accessories of the day. But the stores were a sales arm of AT&T and ordering a Merlin or Partner was no different than calling an AT&T rep. As far as I know nothing key system related was stocked. I remember being on a job and the sparkie was looking for a 8C/8P biscuit jack to move a Merlin phone and mentioned that he went to a Phone Store and they didn't stock them.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Admin
Admin
Predivestiture you just called the local phone company. They had a home office and a business office side. The business office would assign a rep who determined if you needed key or PBX sizing. Larger sizes got the field engineer side involved. Once size was determined they brought out contracts. You got billed for everything from KSU, sets, extension ringers, long cords, etc. At least that how it was done in Texas. The Phone Stores were for consumer grade items as mentioned. I seem to remember that later you could order SW Bell Freedom Phone systems from them.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Steve G.
back when it was a current product, how did a business go from "Hey, we need new phones!" to having a Merlin system installed?

Back then, I replaced the 1A2 or 416 Comkey systems with Merlin systems mostly because customers wanted REDIAL!

For new installs it eliminated the need for 25pr. A big plus.

A lot of customers were just happy to have a more "modern" looking phone on their desk.

Trump 2020
Proud 1 star member.
Working in Century City & Beverly Hills for Pacific Bell all orders came from the Business office. Never saw a rep until after divestiture & it became AT&T. On my first Dimension 2000, before then for the 1A2, Comkey & Horizon, came to us techs in a system programmed form, as to how to program system, & go over changes with the customer, changes would go through the 1st level supervisor to the rep to be OK ed. Went to school for the Merlin 11 in 88 & Legend in 91, is when we started going over the job's with the rep's, as to add equipment that we became more familiar with the rep's ,and what they sold. In some places they had system programmers, who would do all the programming, we just set out the equip, and would do the lines & stations. It was the programmer & rep who would be involved with the customer, and yes they had demos in the rep's office, or would take a future cust to an already working system.

Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
Moderator-Vodavi, Vertical, XBlue
There was about a year in the early 90's when Merlin systems were sold off the shelf by Best Buy stores. Anyone else remember that?

- Dave S. -

You can never appease your ideologue opponents.

Spam Hunter
Spam Hunter
Was it the 206,410 & 820 models eh

I Love FEATURE 00
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,368 Shoretel
189,051 CTX100 install
187,409 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 107 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024