Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jimmy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a customer with 2 sbx 3.5 networked. This has been in for about 3 1/2 years. For three years it worked fine, it was going through an MPLS. Then one location moved an switched to comcast and the other location switched to a local company called fibernet. They use fiber from customer to their building then hand off to Windstream. The first problem was a known issue with the comcast modem (smc i think). It was replaced with a cisco. The issue after that was the net call would work 50% of the time. Make a net call then next try wouldn't go thru. Tech support had me upgrade to 4.0 but the ring tones went back to default and would not change and it started having phantom ringing on the PRI. Also the net problem was still happening. I then changed back to 3.5. Tech support had me do trace and send it to them. Now they want me to use wireshark witch i have no experience with. I have a friend that works for competitor that is going to help me tomorrow so we can be at both locations at the same time. Neither of us has used wireshark before. About a week ago both locations started having phantom ringing on the net lines. I reinitialized both systems and loaded known good back ups but no change. Both providers say its not their problem. Sorry to be so long winded but this is driving me crazy. Any thoughts or opinions welcome. Thanks.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Phantom ringing is a huge issue with all voip and digital connections right now...happens at all my sites except those with managed services such as point to point metro e, mpls, or t-1. I can only hope it will stop just as it did the last time I had this trouble. No provider will admit that there is a problem.

Last edited by Derrick; 04/08/15 06:06 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Originally Posted by Derrick
No provider will admit that there is a problem.

It's not a provider problem, it's a hacking problem. There are people in this world who do nothing all day except try to hack VoIP systems. They come across your IP and start trying to get in, causing you problems.

This is why it is bad practice to connect any VoIP system/card directly to an internet connection with all ports open. You're always going to have problems. You need to put the system behind a router and only allow access to the system from trusted users. At a minimum, block ports (especially 5060) from IP's that don't need access to it.

If you're using a Summit/eMG80, or one of the other products that uses the IPECS engine, you can use the Access Control List to help keep out the bad guys.

jimmy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for your response guys.

nfcphoneman, my colleague basically told me the same thing this morning. So my next question is how do you handle a remote ip phone. From my understanding, you can't port forward ip phone. This same customer has another location that we will be installing 4 ip phones in. Vpn?

The remote side with the IP phones will not need anything special. They should be able to connect just fine.

Of course, a VPN would be preferable.

jimmy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I'm going to be installing routers on both sides. Does anybody know what ports to use for the voip card?

jimmy29 Offline OP
OP Offline
I talked to Toni at tech support. She said the sbx doesn't support port forwarding. She told me to program the net lines in CO ring assignment to ring vmib msg. Then use msg 50 and record a second of silence. So i'll try that and see if it works. This is to keep the customer from hearing the phantom ringing. nfcphoneman, if you have a better way please let me know.

Last edited by jimmy29; 04/29/15 11:08 AM.
It doesn't support port forwarding? I find that hard to believe. Most every VoIP system supports 1-to-1 NAT port forwarding.

Unfortunately, I don't have a way to test this. We never networked an SBX. Good luck!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
The SBX technically has the same port forwarding capability as the IPLDK60. The trouble is implementation....so Vertical doesn't support port forwarding due to so many types of routers out there. Same thing for the Summit..it may do it but you are on your own getting it to work...the only port that Vertical tells you about is to open 80 for admin remote access from inside on a lan when the summit is on a public ip in front of the router at the same site as the lan.

Last edited by Derrick; 04/29/15 12:41 PM.

www.myrandomviews
"Old phone guys never die, they just get locked in some closet with an old phone system and forgotten about"

Retired, taking photographs and hoping to fly one of my many kites.
Thanks Derrick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  EV607797, MnDave, nfcphoneman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,294
Posts638,834
Members49,769
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,624 Shoretel
189,515 CTX100 install
187,772 1a2 system
Newest Members
Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale
49,768 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 5
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 116 guests, and 328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024