web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#595512 11/25/15 09:48 AM
OP Offline
OT, but just curious....For plenum space in your region, does your local code allow for LV Riser Rated Cable in these spaces. Or are there allowances like ground floor, etc.

Was at a friends new place, helping him tie things together...
Threw me for a curveball seeing CMR cable...

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

Jurisdictions are free to make amendments to the NEC when they adopt it (think NYC) but I can think of no reason to change the requirements for plenum listed cable. If what you are talking about is actually an environmental air handling space (HVAC return above a dropped ceiling)then plenum listed cables are required. That you found CMR, well, that doesn't surprise me. That's why we complain about the hacks who do wiring these days...

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
OP Offline
I was in a state over...NJ. Commercial space on ground floor - fancy pants new development - resi ontop. Plenum space indeed.....was where the cables were ran. I would think (assuming the electrican ran the wires), he would very well know CMP should be utilized..

I believe everything in the City of Cleveland has to be plenum.

Jeff Moss

Moss Communications
Computer Repair-Networking-Cabling
MBSWWYPBX, JGAE
NJ definately should have been plenum and if not run by the electrician a low voltage permit should have been pulled and inspection done. That being said utilities like Verizon and Cable are exempt from pulling permits and in my experience run whatever and where ever they want. Like right on top of ceiling tiles no supports, grommets or fire stop.

John 807
Probably run after inspection or inspector didn't look closely enough. Even if an electrician did do it not all of them are above saving a few bucks if they can get away with it.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
I should have included it also depends where in NJ as well. Big thing where I am is barrier free. Usually I mount wall phones at around 5 feet depending on the client. Last job I had them at ADA height 48 inches. The inspector made me drop them to 42 inches. I wasn't the only one either thermostats had to dropped to 42 inches along with the x-ray controls even though the mfr. Recommends the be at 60 inches to prevent firing by people bumping them in the hallway.

John 807
There is the NEC then there is the ADA and local codes. Don't confuse one with the other although they will overlap in some aspects. The NEC generally has nothing to say about the height of devices and is only concerned with protecting lives and property- plenum listed cable in air handling spaces. The ADA specifies height requirements of switches, receptacles, etc in ADA compliant spaces. Local code in NJ will specify the height of electrical service equipment on buildings brought about after hurricane Sandy.

-Hal

Moderated by  Silversam 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,804
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,374 Shoretel
189,059 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 4
dans 3
Who's Online Now
4 members (Toner, Touch Tone Tommy, Professor Shadow, Carl Navarro), 164 guests, and 390 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024