Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#608443 03/02/17 07:50 PM
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
I read on another forum how a guy showed up a half hour late for an interview, so the guy just showed him the door, no interview. I thought how many times I've waited a half hour or more for guys like that interviewer to show up, get off the phone, stop bsing or come outta the john. Maybe he did the guy a favor? Anybody else see the irony in this situation?

John 807
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

John807 #608444 03/02/17 07:53 PM
That's rough. Depending on where you are there are so many things that can stop you from getting there on time. Did he call and let him know he was late because of xyz? Seems weird to not at least hear him out.

John807 #608445 03/02/17 08:05 PM
As each generation grows up, they need to be educated in the Rules:

The Golden Rule: "Whoever has the Gold, Makes the Rules"

"My ball, my game."

"Do as I say, not as I do."

"The Boss is always right."

"Rank has its privilege."

"Life ain't fair."

Betcha he's 15 minutes early next time.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

John807 #608446 03/02/17 08:16 PM
John807 Offline OP
OP Offline
I've heard them all Arthur. The best is you were only here 5 minutes! Yes I was and waited 120 minutes, for you. Here's your bill for 3 hours.

John 807
John807 #608465 03/03/17 12:34 PM
How about this interview. I posted this before on the other forum under the topic of I Hate Millennials! As Arthur says, they have a lot to learn but they aren't interested and that is what we have to deal with.

This from the October issue of Contractor Magazine:

"Imagine this: You’re a 57-year-old plumbing contractor who, after much deliberation and careful thought, has decided to hire another employee.

The union halls are empty, construction is booming and there is just no one around. You post in other cities trying to lure them to you, but it’s the same situation: not enough qualified plumbers. Ergo, you’ve decided to hire someone new to the plumbing and heating business, so you can put your own thumbprint on their training.

You place an ad in the newspaper and finally, after two weeks, someone calls to set up an appointment to meet. He seems pleasant enough on the phone, if not a little hesitant about becoming a plumber, because he has a four-year degree in Fermentation Science from Appalachian State University.

He explained that he couldn’t find any employment in his field of choice, and he had amassed a staggering level of college debt. He needs some money and heard that plumbers also get to set their own hours, so he was interested in that.

After the phone conversation, you decide to meet with him at a coffee shop rather than your office (easier to run if necessary). You arrive early (as always) and order a coffee and wait. And wait. Finally, 20 minutes after the appointed time, your potential new hire walks through the door. He introduces himself, “Hi, I’m Brynlee.” He settles into the chair explaining, “Sorry I’m late, but some friends and I were binge-watching Empire last night, and time just got away. I hope that’s not a problem,” as he eases an obstinate lock of hair back into his man-bun.

He has a nose ring and a tattoo that goes the entire length of his left arm that says “Middle Earth” with a half-dozen short people with long hair, robes, swords and pointy ears.

Brynlee reaches into his man-purse, pulls out his iPhone and says, “My résumé is posted on LinkedIn. I’ll tweet you the info if you’ll give me your Twitter handle. I’ll send you a hilarious emoji too! By the way, I hope you don’t want me to start tomorrow, because I just got a Yik Yak that Beyoncé is happening. Next week would be perf.”

You look around the coffee shop to see if Rod Serling is standing somewhere because you can hear the Twilight Zone theme song playing."

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
John807 #608468 03/03/17 01:18 PM
Retired Admin
Retired Admin
I am apparently 'Old School'.

When I go out for a job interview I am dressed for the job, I have all my tools and I expect to go to work immediately.

There have been a few times I discover this weeks job-site is 250 miles away...is that a problem?

No problem. I get the job that way.

I remember more than once leaving a message on my wife's cell phone telling her I got the job and that I will see she sometime Saturday.

Dean
Photographs:
https://www.instagram.com/deanwilsoncanby/
https://fstoppers.com/profile/deanwilsoncanby
https://www.facebook.com/Dean-Wilson-Photography-112841337020414

Please don't confuse your "Internet Search" with my licenses, certifications and over 30 years experience.

"Thank you for calling Technical Support. If you feel you have reached this number in error, please hang up and press redial."
John807 #608487 03/03/17 06:54 PM
In the unlikely event that I ever get asked to interview for a job, I will show up on time, sans nose ring, sans tatoo, and wearing the "off duty Marine Corps" uniform: khaki slacks, light blue Oxford weave button-down tailored shirt (heavy starch, please) dark red/blue striped tie, blue blazer with generic buttons, no pocket square, and lace-up brown shoes, with black socks.

I say "unlikely" because at age 69.999 I am seldom, if ever, called for an interview, even if the job seems to be designed specifically for me. One interviewer nearly wore himself through his chair, writhing, due to his extreme discomfort in meeting me.

His only comment, repeated several dozen times, was "Gee, your resume is very impressive." He ended the interview by mentioning that were the stairs too difficult for me to climb, he could direct me to the elevators.

At 6'4", 225 pounds, and blood pressure at 120/80, I could have knocked him down, folded him up, and fireman-carried him up the damned stairs, but I didn't want to get blood and puke on my blazer.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

John807 #608488 03/03/17 07:19 PM
Admin
Admin
"At 6'4", 225 pounds, and blood pressure at 120/80, I could have knocked him down, folded him up, and fireman-carried him up the damned stairs, but I didn't want to get blood and puke on my blazer."

Best laugh I have had in forever. Way to start my weekend Mr. Bloom.

[Linked Image]
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
Moderator-1A2, Cabling
About 12 years ago I went for an interview at Black Box. The job was for "Superintendent" of all I&M in NYC.

I was a sprightly 55 at the time and the interview was going really well until they asked for my resume. One of the people who was interviewing me said:

"Gee, you've got a better resume then our big boss!"

I knew right then and there I would never get the job.

There's a lot of that out there.

Sam

"Where are we going and why are we in this hand basket?"
hbiss #608514 03/04/17 11:47 PM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi, 1A2, Outside Wire
Those were priceless, Hal, Arthur, and Sam. Not so much because it was funny, but more because it was true.

Ed Vaughn, MBSWWYPBX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,290
Posts638,801
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,366 Shoretel
189,041 CTX100 install
187,402 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 22
teleco 6
dexman 5
jsaad 3
dans 3
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 121 guests, and 414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024