web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Online Content
You said you had some help coming, sounds like the right idea. A simple volt meter, as stated earlier, will find all your problems, you don't need any special test gear.

Since this isn't a single pull and has several "transitions" per your earlier post you could easily have multiple problems in your cable connections.

Retired phone dude
Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
So it sounds like even though I may have done a wiremap test that came out ok I may have the wrong tip with the correct ring color and that is why the phone won't come up...sound right?

Online Content
Anything is possible. Just do a complete cable test and find out what's wrong no reason to speculate what the trouble may be. Any good phone tech should be able to determine what your problem(s) is/are.

Retired phone dude
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
RIP Moderator-Nisuko-Tie, General
I may have the wrong tip with the correct ring color and that is why the phone won't come up...sound right?
that would do it , easy check twist the pair together on one end , look for continuity on the other

skip555, which Circa modules did you end up using? I will call Circa on Monday...
I dont recall it was 5+ years ago and on a panasonic digital.

analog system phones would come up but digital wouldn't . the circa guy told me what to order , I ordered installed and everything worked

like you osp is not my strong point but we do it when necessary

Skip
------------------------------------

Serving SW and West central Fl since 1984
Some protectors present a problem for digital carriers because of their high capacitance. You can change your 5 pins to Circa #3B1FS-240. I wouldn't worry about that at this point, simply remove them at both ends and jumper the pair on through to confirm. If still no go then you have other problems.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
OK Guys. I took my multimeter out there today and did the recommended tests and here are the results.
Resistance with all pairs open and from each wire to ground were infinite on outside cable leg and the inside cable legs from the PBX to the head end of the outside cable.
Resistance on the outside pairs when shorted out at the far end were 3360 ohms for all pairs (I used the 200 setting on the multimer and got a reading of 33.6 so assume I should multiply that by 200 and I also assume that I need to divide that by 2 to determine the resistance of the length of one wire.)
Resistance of the inside pairs from the PBX to the headend of the outside cable was the same: 3360 ohms.
Resistance of the entire circuit was 6610 ohms using the same methods as above.
I then connect two of the outside pairs together to lower resistance and came up with a total circuit resistance of 4760 ohms using the same method as above.
When I double up the outside pairs there was improvement in the phone. It would stay up but had heavy static and did not display properly so think I am on the right track.
I am still puzzled as to why I am having a resistance problem with new cable when Avaya specs say I can run this phone 3500 feet on 24 AWG???
Just wanted to give you all an update if my dilema was keeping you up at night..haha

Resistance on the outside pairs when shorted out at the far end were 3360 ohms for all pairs

One of the things you have to learn when learning how to troubleshoot is- "do my test results make sense".

Put on your thinking cap, get out your manual for your meter, Google wire resistance and tell me if 2200 feet of 22ga copper wire should measure 3360 ohms.

You have to know what it is supposed to be before you can tell if something is wrong.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Online Content
You're either reading the meter wrong or have some high resistance opens. Did you strap everything out as has been suggested? Or did you read it through the protection? Only other answer is you're about 20 miles from one end to the other.

Retired phone dude
Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
OK..feeling realy stupid about the multimeter results but this is salvagable. I calculated wrong..obviously..
So the resistance of all the outside pairs read 33.4 ohms. 1100' 22AWG

The resistance of the inside leg was also 33.4 ohms. About 500' 24 AWG

The reading of the entire circuit was 66.1 ohms.

When I doubled up the pairs on the outside cable I was just under 50 ohms for the entire circuit.

Sound better...

Upon Hal's advice I googled resistance and for 24 AWG it was .0302/foot and at 1500' that would be 45.3 ohms...I erred on the conservative side.

So at the risk of sounding even more pathetic do I divide my reading by 2 since I really tested twice the lenght?? And if so it sounds like I am within tolerances...

I'll keep checking the post and really appreciate all the great help but I'm kind of brain dead for the day...

Cheers!

Velcro Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I forgot to mention that I did bypass all protection but still have the shield grounded..

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,291
Posts638,810
Members49,767
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,378 Shoretel
189,080 CTX100 install
187,411 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 7
dexman 5
jsaad 4
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 154 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024