Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
We use the TransTalk 9031 units in our operation here. Problem is their very limited range. What doesn't help matters is our building. The rack of modules is mounted in our office attic and we have a tin roof. I believe this is the reason the coverage is not good. :shrug:
If anyone has that answer, I sure would appreciate it. Also, if anyone has tackled this problem, please let me know how you solved it.
Many thanks. :bow:
David

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website
IP Office Help

Avaya IP Office Help & Support Website

FAQs, documentation, videos, updates, and support for the Avaya IP Office business phone system!
Everything you need to know about installing, upgrading, and troubleshooting IP 500v2 and IPO Server Edition systems.

I'm no RF expert but what you propose probably isn't going to do much if anything. Might even make things worse.

Your problem is the radio units are installed in the wrong location. Specific instructions are given in the installation documents on how to optimize the location to give the best coverage. This is through temporary placements and the signal level utility built into the handsets. My experience is they should be good for nearly a quarter mile without much trouble.

Lucent did make an outdoor housing for that carrier should that help.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Like Hal said your external antenna wouldn't help. I did onece connected 2 restaurans togethet with 2 9040 Cordless. They even better then 9031s but I have to move antenna all the time inside the attic because couldn't get clear signal everywere. I tried extend existing antenna but wasn't luky. Maybe you will be. At least it worth to try. All phones 900MHz.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well, the rack of modules was installed by Avaya (Lucent) techs when they installed our Merlin system. I would hope they tested and installed in what they considered the best location. I wasn't employed here at that time. But, even indoors, the 9030 is iffy throughout our building. MUCH less than 1/2 mile, more like 100 yards straightline.
I thought about the outside enclosure and moving the rack outside the building. That would probably help the 9030 units that are carried by the folks in our yard area. But, what would it do to the inside users? The tin roof, again, would probably come into play and degrade service. I had gotten an estimate and asked a tech to come out that was going to install the enclosure, but he never showed up or called to explain why. I just let it go at that point.
I just thought a good high gain external antenna would be a vast improvement over the small dipole antennas on the modules. Sure would make it handy if they built the modules with an external antenna jack.
Thanks for the replies and your insights. :toast:

You are correct about the attic installation...not a good idea.

I know you were told that Lucent installed these, but that's just not their style. Perhaps the base units were moved after Lucent's installation. Anyway, the usual location for these things (and it's very clearly spelled out in the guide) is one to three feet below ceiling level. There is also a minimum distance from the PBX that must be respected, otherwise you'll pick up noise from your own gear!

Steer clear of the tin roof, elevator shafts or steel walls. Vertical barriers are gotten around by clever placement of additional base units so that calls can be handed off.

Even when you get it all rigged right, you may occasionally experience quiet little clicks and stuff in conversations. While these operate in the 900MHz band (902 Mhz to 928 Mhz)--which is far less crowded than it used to be--things like microwave ovens, wireless barcode scanners, and any other unlicensed radio devices can be a source of base unit interference. Besides, I'm fairly sure that these are straight analog radios (as opposed to "digital spread spectrum") and are susceptible to interference anyway.

"Press play and record at the same time" -- Tim Alberstein
A couple of things you should know. The 9031 has been long discontinued as has the newer 9040. Reason being both are plagued by interference from other 900Mhz devices, something that they just can't deal with by design. My experience has been that the other devices don't even have to be in the same building. The interference can be as mild as clicking and poping to complete dropping of the signal. The problem increases as you move away from the radio units.

So it is very likely that at least part of your problem is this interference.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
"not their style" - not in my experience!

Lucent's installers, if not specifically told by the salesperson, would put them in the same room, on the same backboard with the phone system's control unit! Not a good place for them!

And those salespeople - never used the demo kit to determine the best location, just included them on the order and told us to "use your best judgement" on locating them.

Yup to that.

-Hal

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,293
Posts638,829
Members49,768
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,584 Shoretel
189,465 CTX100 install
187,619 1a2 system
Newest Members
Robbks, A2A Networks, James D., Nadisale, andreww
49,767 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 26
teleco 9
dexman 6
jsaad 3
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024