web statisticsweb stats

Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#9288 01/16/06 03:47 AM
I agree with grider. I'll continue slighlty off subject with you.
It never fails to amaze me the places phone rooms and IDFs are located. Dark, damp, and cluttered. No one would ever dream of putting their precious network servers in there. Common sense would dictate that phone systems are made of the same components as computers and should be afforded a nice dry, well lit and ventilated home.

As for labeling, I get my shorts in a bunch over that as well. I think it inexcusable not to put something on the block. Yes, we can all use a toner. But if a professional has been been there I shouldn't have to. I always do my work with the thought that someone will come behind me, and if I do my job right, it will be easier for him/her. It sets a good standard and is something we can all be proud of. I once did 6 months at St Paul hospital in Dallas and remarked about 10.000 pairs of wire. It really was frustrating trying to do MACs with the cables all labeled wrong or not at all. I recall it was the time of the Clinton impeachment so I just had my Walkman, a toner, and a Sharpie and went to it. Anyone can go there and find where a cable is terminated now.

I can't stand BIX, don't care for 110. I like 66. Bigger, easier to work on, more room to mark on.

If I find a block with a couple of CA1's on it just find the next largest unused number.

As someone else mentioned, punch down all the pairs. Not doing so is just lazy.

Oh, and another thing, don't be pulling your cross-connect wire so tight you can play a song on it.

Richard

Candor - Intelligence - Good Will
Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#9289 01/16/06 04:04 AM
Sorry, I typed that post late at night. What I was trying to say is that in our setup, we have 2 total boxes in each classroom, and on each box is 4 rj-45 jacks and these punch down to the 110's in the CER(wiring room) and for the phone we just use one of those jacks and instead of patching down to a hub or switch we just patch down to another 110 block ill post some pictures of the whole setup when it was first done it looked great and over time of patching this down and moving this and adding this some wires are in disarray but when i get to the office on Tuesday ill post some pictures you could get a better idea of it if you see the pictures

#9290 01/16/06 04:28 AM
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Moderator-Vertical, Vodavi
Harris, is the school system you work for short on periods? If so, here are a few . . . . . . .

:banana:

Just joking. Couldn't help it...

#9291 01/16/06 07:05 AM
i know its all run on sentences. When I type in forums and im's i don’t use correct structure and punctuation. I promise i'll do it proper lol

#9292 01/16/06 07:18 AM
OP Offline
Man.I seem to have a habit of picking just the right topic to get people going. Thanks for all the input guys.
Grider...evidentually you have been peeking into some of our closets. apparently the comm closet is like the last thing designed in a new building...if they even give it a second thought at all. we have one that shares its space with a large transformer(that was supposed to go outside the building)

All I can say is I am glad you guys are the ones doing the wire pulling. I know what it like in some of our buildings. And I hate it when we change things cause I know what you guys have to do to get it where the "powers that be" want it.

Thanks for all you do..... clap

ATTITUDE: It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.
#9293 01/16/06 07:37 AM
This is a no brainer. Cable locations should be marked ALWAYS with simple numbers starting at 1 ect. Phone systems should be labeled with port number not ext numbers. The idea of labeling cables simply by number is that later when you add cables you are not confused by some elaborate cabling number scheme that gets screwed when all contigencies are not covered. If you wire in 66 then STAY on 66. If 110 STAY on 110 ect. If using IDF feeds then once again start with 1 and work your way up so that feeds on the MDF and all in a row and that it's easy to determine on the idf side what you are looking at.

#9294 01/16/06 03:32 PM
KLD Offline
Amen to Brother Coral Tech. Stay the straight and narrow. Label, label, then label again. Common sense and a logical progression will overcome superior intellect and the boss's stupidity.

KLD. wink

Ken
---------
#9295 01/20/06 02:53 PM
Most of our customers already had systems before ours and most aren't labeled. I usually sketch a floor plan with jack locations, assign cable numbers starting at 1 in a logical order around the building, then tone & label the blocks. Label system blocks with port # or slot & circuit # depending on what type system it is.

As you jumper an extension, write the ext. # on the floor plan. Make copies, give one to customer, one in the file, and one rolled up and stuck behind a block or in the cabinet.

I prefer 66 blocks, but a properly done 110 installation can also be easy to work on. So far, I've only seen one.

Joe
---
No trees were harmed as a result of this posting; however, many electrons were severely inconvenienced.
#9296 01/20/06 06:20 PM
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Moderator-Avaya-Lucent, Antique Tele
Wow, I'd do that in reverse - If there are no cable numbers, label the blocks 1 through whatever starting in the upper left hand corner, then label the jacks to match as they tone out. That way, you go to the location to install a phone, look at the number, and back at the backboard it's easy to find cable.

#9297 01/20/06 07:02 PM
RCA Offline
Originally posted by Touch Tone Tommy:
Wow, I'd do that in reverse - If there are no cable numbers, label the blocks 1 through whatever starting in the upper left hand corner, then label the jacks to match as they tone out. That way, you go to the location to install a phone, look at the number, and back at the backboard it's easy to find cable.
I too like the blocks labeled in order. Example, went to a job just recently where the writing on the blocks was faded pretty bad. Had this job been labeled in order, I could of just counted down the blocks until I got to the right one. When someone shotguns the numbering on a backboard, it takes some time to track down those numbers on large installs.

Also when you start the other way (labeling rooms in order and backboard isnt straight) all it takes is one cable add in an office right in the middle of the numbering scheme and your numbering plan is shot.

Since we are on the subject of backoards and pet peeves, I really hate it when someone wires the jack backwards and punches the cross connects down straight. Please wire your jacks straight and make all your funny crosses and twists at the punch block so we can see what is going on. I dont get to work on old InterTel GLX's or old Iwatsu Omegaphones that much anymore but when I go into one of these places and see the backboard jumpers punched down straight on both sides it just makes me cringe.

Okay, Im done for know.

Rhett
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  MooreTel 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,305
Posts638,892
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,834 Shoretel
189,957 CTX100 install
188,059 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 6
jsaad 5
Who's Online Now
1 members (Yoda), 96 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024