atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: topher question about customer request - 08/25/05 06:33 AM
I have an issue with this request:

I have always used 66 blocks for voice, but the customer wants all of the connections everywhere to be modular [rj-11] w/ 1-pair ea. (taking the amph. to a 25-pair mod. split.)

Is this something just to stay away from? Should i just say we only use 66 blocks and walk away or should I do it and make him sign a contract stating this is how he wanted it done and thats the way i did it?

Any comments welcome. Thanks.
Posted By: Phone_girl_NE Re: question about customer request - 08/25/05 06:43 AM
Hard to turn away work. I would tend to do the contract and take the work. You may wish to let him know you do not really agree but are will to do as he/she wishes as they are the boss. [Linked Image from sundance-communications.com]

Steph
Posted By: liquidvw Re: question about customer request - 08/25/05 06:46 AM
He wants it on modular so he can do his own MAC's. I guess he doesn't own a punch down tool. I would just do it and get paid.
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: question about customer request - 08/25/05 06:49 AM
One of the common "alternate" installation methods I used even years ago with Lucent (upon customer request, of course) was breaking out the system and station cables onto 110-JP panels. It looks neat and clean, and provides the modular approach your customer wants. If you PREFER 66-blocks, how about the "Easy Patch 66" adapters??? It will allow you to do it your way, and allow the customer to have it their way.

JM
Posted By: topher Re: question about customer request - 08/25/05 07:06 PM
Thanks for all of the replies.

Wow! Great idea John, I like the idea of the easy patch w/ the mods and the punchdown area... the customer is offering good pay if its done to his specs so I was thinking about doing it but wanted some advice.

I will have him sign a contract so I dont get screwed in any way.

Thanks again.
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: question about customer request - 08/26/05 04:40 AM
No problem, my friend. AND...you can supply him with "extras"...just in case.

If you really want to blow his mind, get some of the wider Panduit finger duct and place it between and beneath the 66-blocks to create some "homemade" wire management. This will "hide" your satin cord cross-connects...and it looks very nice when the install is maintained properly.

Good Luck!

jm
Posted By: Corwyn Re: question about customer request - 08/29/05 07:24 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by John-BNSystems:
One of the common "alternate" installation methods I used even years ago with Lucent (upon customer request, of course) was breaking out the system and station cables onto 110-JP panels. It looks neat and clean, and provides the modular approach your customer wants. If you PREFER 66-blocks, how about the "Easy Patch 66" adapters??? It will allow you to do it your way, and allow the customer to have it their way.

JM
</font>

John,

Do you have a good source for those easy patch? I had a local guy make them for me but he retired and now I'm having a hard time finding them.

PM me.
Posted By: John-BNSystems Re: question about customer request - 08/31/05 11:01 AM
Corwyn:

Mike Sandman:

https://www.sandman.com/loop.html#66%20to%20Modular%20Adapter

Good Luck!!
Posted By: JJ Re: question about customer request - 08/31/05 06:48 PM
I do this on alot of installs. Use one patch panel for the phone system side and one for the location/station side. I do tell customer that patch panel should have all 4 pair so they can use for voice or data, but if they want it for voice only each port has two pair. That way thet can install different types of phone systems without rewirring station patch panel.

Good Luck!!

[This message has been edited by JJ (edited September 01, 2005).]
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help