atcomsystems.ca/forum
Posted By: Liv Possible BET Fault - 08/06/09 07:37 PM
Hello, and thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

I installed a 50 pr Voice Backbone between 2 buildings with a BET at each entrance and D type 50 pr to complete the run at each end

The client installed a few Mitel sets to the remote end of theplant and had no issue using the Voice backbone.

He called today and informed me that he could not bridge a fax line to the Plant. ( he wants the circuit to appear at both ends ).

The problem he experienced when he bridged the line were :

After a few seconds the line went to a teclo message " unable to make call ' then went fast busy.

When he tried to make a call to his cell, the call went through and caller Id showed the right circuit number , he was able to talk but he could not release the line by hanging up. he had to remove the bridged jumper.

I used a Fluke DSp 4300 to run a quick line map but was not able to see the Remote in Wiremap mode.

I ran a TDR function and was able to see the first BEP at 250 ft.

I ran a resistance test and again, at 250 ft, I got differing values, on some pairs including the working Mitel pairs I got an "open " state, on some pairs I was reading 400 + ohms.

I suspect I have some issue with one or both of the BET's or fusing ( 5 pin , not sure voltage value / orange in color ) but I would like to rule out the bridged Pots line. Keep in mind, the Mitel services are running flawlessly.

Any thoughts ?

Greatly appreciated

liv.
Posted By: justbill Re: Possible BET Fault - 08/06/09 07:40 PM
If you're using protection for your digital sets you're probably using low voltage, which would activate on an incoming call to the fax. Wouldn't think it would effect outgoing, unless they are operating on line voltage.
Posted By: hbiss Re: Possible BET Fault - 08/06/09 08:35 PM
If you can tell us what 5 pin protectors you are using we may be able to help you. Should be a manufacturer and number on them someplace. The color orange does mean something but it depends on the manufacturer.

-Hal
Posted By: Arthur P. Bloom Re: Possible BET Fault - 08/07/09 09:59 AM
Something is shorting or grounding the line. The suggestion that you are using the wrong voltage protector sounds the most logical. Here are some ways to determine that.

With the protectors pulled out, use a common VOM and check for grounds, shorts, and crosses on the cable pair.

(or)

Bypass the protectors temporarily and see if the line works OK.

(or)

Using the VOM, look into the (two?) FAX machines and see if one or both is/are defective.

(or)

Use a different (spare) cable pair and see if the symptoms continue on the new pair.

Let us know the results.
© Sundance Business VOIP Telephone Help