Business Phone Systems

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#474870 08/06/09 03:37 PM
Liv Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello, and thanks for any advice you may be able to offer.

I installed a 50 pr Voice Backbone between 2 buildings with a BET at each entrance and D type 50 pr to complete the run at each end

The client installed a few Mitel sets to the remote end of theplant and had no issue using the Voice backbone.

He called today and informed me that he could not bridge a fax line to the Plant. ( he wants the circuit to appear at both ends ).

The problem he experienced when he bridged the line were :

After a few seconds the line went to a teclo message " unable to make call ' then went fast busy.

When he tried to make a call to his cell, the call went through and caller Id showed the right circuit number , he was able to talk but he could not release the line by hanging up. he had to remove the bridged jumper.

I used a Fluke DSp 4300 to run a quick line map but was not able to see the Remote in Wiremap mode.

I ran a TDR function and was able to see the first BEP at 250 ft.

I ran a resistance test and again, at 250 ft, I got differing values, on some pairs including the working Mitel pairs I got an "open " state, on some pairs I was reading 400 + ohms.

I suspect I have some issue with one or both of the BET's or fusing ( 5 pin , not sure voltage value / orange in color ) but I would like to rule out the bridged Pots line. Keep in mind, the Mitel services are running flawlessly.

Any thoughts ?

Greatly appreciated

liv.

Atcom VoIP Phones
VoIP Demo

Best VoIP Phones Canada

Visit Atcom to get started with your new business VoIP phone system ASAP
Turn up is quick, painless, and can often be done same day.
Let us show you how to do VoIP right, resulting in crystal clear call quality and easy-to-use features that make everyone happy!
Proudly serving Canada from coast to coast.

#474871 08/06/09 03:40 PM
Online Content
If you're using protection for your digital sets you're probably using low voltage, which would activate on an incoming call to the fax. Wouldn't think it would effect outgoing, unless they are operating on line voltage.

Retired phone dude
#474872 08/06/09 04:35 PM
If you can tell us what 5 pin protectors you are using we may be able to help you. Should be a manufacturer and number on them someplace. The color orange does mean something but it depends on the manufacturer.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.
#474873 08/07/09 05:59 AM
Something is shorting or grounding the line. The suggestion that you are using the wrong voltage protector sounds the most logical. Here are some ways to determine that.

With the protectors pulled out, use a common VOM and check for grounds, shorts, and crosses on the cable pair.

(or)

Bypass the protectors temporarily and see if the line works OK.

(or)

Using the VOM, look into the (two?) FAX machines and see if one or both is/are defective.

(or)

Use a different (spare) cable pair and see if the symptoms continue on the new pair.

Let us know the results.

Arthur P. Bloom
"30 years of faithful service...15 years on hold"

Moderated by  EV607797 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums84
Topics94,299
Posts638,872
Members49,770
Most Online5,661
May 23rd, 2018
Popular Topics(Views)
212,730 Shoretel
189,776 CTX100 install
187,934 1a2 system
Newest Members
Dave Simmons, Soulece, Robbks, A2A Networks, James D.
49,769 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Toner 25
teleco 9
dans 6
dexman 4
Who's Online Now
1 members (justbill), 145 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Contact Us | Sponsored by Atcom: One of the best VoIP Phone Canada Suppliers for your business telephone system!| Terms of Service

Sundance Communications is not affiliated with any of the above manufacturers. Sundance Phone System Forums - VOIP & Cloud Phone Help
©Copyright Sundance Communications 1998-2024