Hello all - I am seeking your help with a problem I'm having with my Nortel 0X32 system.

It is not the newest of systems - SP:30Nv100 GP9 is the version (and I forgot to write down the software version - sorry - and I don't trust myself to go and get it at the moment, as I am liable to take a hammer to whole system instead).

It has four analogue lines installed inside the main cabinet, and a M0X8A as an expansion cabinet.

Everything has been fine until yesterday, when I noticed that the analogue phones on the M0X8A were not receiving dial tone (although I can hear the DTMF beeps when I attempt to dial). The rest of the system continues to work perfectly, however.

Going into the Maintenance facility shows me that the module is empty. Clearly it's not.

I have tried... disabling it then enabling it; powering down, disconnecting the module, and then powering up again; doing the same but substituting a different fibre optic cable; doing the same but leaving everything disconnected for an hour or two before reconnecting and then powering up; doing the same but powering the module off it's own socket rather than the power bar.

None of it has had any effect. It is driving me to distraction, and I am going to have to hide all the hammers in a five mile radius to avoid temptation.

I can't think of anything that caused the fault - no power cuts, no knocks or jolts to the phone system, nothing.

The fact that I can generate DTMF on a phone connected to it leads me to suspect that the fault lies with either the fibre optic cable or the expander unit within the main cabinet. Before I go and buy a new card, can anyone think of anything that I should have done, or have done that I shouldn't?

(A bit about me: I'm an end user of a Nortel, having owned several since the min 90's, and am able to program with aplomb (usually). My background is more with vintage phone systems - strowger, PMBX, PABXs etc. - and as a computer technician (so I was properly 'grounded' whilst removing cards etc.)

As Princess Leah said to Obi Wan, "You're my only hope."

John