Good Day All -

I'm and _end user_ although I can't tell ya'll how much help the forums are. Generally I don't post as I rely on my Toshiba partner for all of our phone system work. I'm having problems with a phone system that I'm having trouble getting solved and looking for options.

The location having trouble (I'm the headquarters IT systems manager) has a CTX-100, IVP8 voicemail, 5 POTS lines, 8 Toshiba phones - 3 of which are portable handsets.

Going on for about 4 months now, there is a sporatic problem where the personnel in the store can talk to the person at the other end but cannot hear anything that person says. We have had our POTS provider out many times and every time they come out, the levels and numbers on all their test equipment show fine, they have changed cable pairs in the mall communication closet coming to our store's demark and the trouble persists. Our provider put a new line card in the system and changed the wires going from the line card to the demark and the problem continues.

The "one sided" conversation happens from all phones, on all lines, not all at the same time and the parties can hang up, call right back, use the same desket or cordless and even be on the same POTS line and everythign is fine....15 seconds later.

The problem never occurs during a call, it always happens at the START of a call and happens both on inbound and outbound directions.

I need to get the problem resolved but frankly don't have the money to just buy a whole new phone system, new desksets at several hundred dollars a piece and/or just start changing every card in the system.

Our Toshiba partner sends me to the telco, the telco sends me to the PBX vendor and I (and our store personnel) are stuck in the middle of what turns an ugly situation.

I'm therefore looking for some advice on what the next troubleshooting step should be, guesses, hints, etc are all appreciated. I'm not a phone system technican but I can find my way around a wiring closet when I need to, if theres a specific piece of test equipment I need which would let me try and investigate, I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Mark L., MCSE, CCNA