Matt, same at Thule, Greenland AFB. Program called Morale Calls. Lines were available after 7PM local time to New Jersey, collect from there. Call the base operator and get your name on the list. Call might go through ANYTIME!
However, being in the sub-cable head bldg, we had access to allll sorts of options. Easiest was taking a morale call circuit for maintenance. But, you still had the collect charges. I used to get a spare channel on the Tropo shot patched thru to Cheyenne Mountain and then get an Autovon connection to Richards-Gebaur, then ask for off-base number XXX-YYYY. I quit that when I hung up, got a ring back a couple minutes later. It was the operator @ Cheyenne Mountain, wanting to know why they couldn't release the call. I call the Tropo shot @ Cape Dyer and had them tear down their patch, Tech control on base and had them tear down their patch and finally, tore down my patch. For all I know, that operator STILL can't release the call! John C.

When I was young, I was Liberal. As I aged and wised up, I became Conservative. Now that I'm old, I have settled on Curmudgeon.