Does your player have a headset output? I have used headset outputs on players of all kinds for more years than I care to talk about and never had a moh port on a system get damaged... I usually have success splicing the two hots of a headphone jack together to produce a mono rather than having to choose between a left or right channel.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. You are not getting confused, NMDAVE is misinformed. It's not going to damage the MOH input on the system but rather the output devices in the source. Some radios, CD and MP3 players may be able to handle having both channels of the headphone output shorted together, particularly the older stuff. But the newer stuff will likely be damaged and you will never know until it's too late. Regardless, it's never acceptable practice to "Y" any audio output, whether headphone or line level, because of damage.

If I could get (or have a guarantee) that the MOH system can sound really pretty decent, I would pay whatever it takes to get a good MOH system here - again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well, its not like all MOH sounds crappy so I kinda think it's you. Get somebody who knows what they are doing and get a decent MOH player.

-Hal

CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING: Some comments made by me are known to the State of California to cause irreversible brain damage and serious mental disorders leading to confinement.